The dad you always wanted is the dad you could aspire to be Part 1
Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
- 50-something / ˈfɪf ti ˈsʌmˌθɪŋ / (n.) – someone whose age is between 50 and 59 years old
Our coach is a 50-something who’s very strong and fit.
- unclog / ʌnˈklɒg / (v.) – to clear something, such as a drain or a pipe, by removing something that’s blocking it
I watched a video to learn how to unclog a toilet.
- wholesome / ˈhoʊl səm / (adj.) – likely to have a positive effect on people’s behavior and mental health
This TV show’s so wholesome. Watching it makes me feel good!
- demeanor / dɪˈmi nər / (n.) – the way a person looks and behaves
The speaker at the conference had a strong, confident demeanor.
- rage / reɪdʒ / (v.) – to spread quickly and uncontrollably
The fire raged for days, destroying a huge part of the forest.
Read the text below.
Being a good father is hard, which is why many men think twice before starting a family. But if they’re looking for tips for dads, they should check out Rob Kenney’s YouTube channel.
Kenney believes that being a good dad is not all that different from being a good adult. And so he launched “Dad, how do I?” in April last year to give out some “Dadvice.” The 50-something now has a million subscribers.
On his channel, Kenney tackles myriad household problems — from hanging a shelf to checking the oil in your car to unclogging a toilet. His reassuring voice and wholesome dad demeanor has captured the hearts of many people, 85% of whom are women between the ages of 25 and 40 years old. With the pandemic raging outside, it’s little wonder they’ve turned to Kenney for solid advice on keeping calm and carrying on. (The Japan Times)
To be continued…
This article was provided by The Japan Times Alpha.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
- The article says that being a good father is hard. Do you agree it’s hard to be a good parent? Why or why not?
- Kenney gives “Dadvice,” tackling myriad household problems like hanging a shelf, checking the oil in your car, and unclogging a toilet. What kind of “Dadvice” are you most interested in watching? Why? Discuss.
- Kenney’s channel has a million subscribers, 85% of whom are women between the ages of 25 and 40 years old. What do you think is the reason for his popularity? Discuss.
- Many people turned to Kenney’s channel for solid advice on keeping calm and carrying on during the pandemic. Have you discovered any new sources of entertainment during the pandemic? Discuss.