Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. Jenny goes jogging every morning regardless of the weather.
- ex. The high prices of rent, gas, and electricity put a strain on poor families’ income.
- ex. People 18 years old and above are eligible to vote. People who are below 18 can’t vote yet.
- ex. Health experts are looking for solutions to combat the disease.
- ex. Many Filipinos are looking for jobs abroad because of job insecurity in the Philippines.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham approved a new law to provide free school meals to all students regardless of family income. Recently, New Mexico approved this law to address the strain caused by high food prices. Lawmakers decided to give more than $22 million (¥2.9 billion) from the state budget to help pay for the free school meals.
Additional money will also be used to improve school kitchens to make sure that the meals are safe and healthy. In her speech, Lujan Grisham said that school kitchens should work to keep kids healthy, strong, and ready to learn. According to the New Mexico Public Education Department, about 67% — or 309,000 students — are eligible to receive free and reduced-price lunches through the National School Lunch Program.
Advocacy groups believe that free school meals are New Mexico’s way to combat high food insecurity rates. The new law aims to increase the amount of food bought from local farmers. Currently, about 168 farmers and food businesses sell their products to schools in only 19 areas in New Mexico. Supporters also hope the new law will lead to less food waste.
This material was based on an article by The Associated Press.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- Do you agree that free school meals should be provided to all students? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Lujan Grisham said that school kitchens should work to keep kids healthy, strong, and ready to learn. Do you agree or disagree with her? Why? Discuss.
- The new law in New Mexico provides free lunches to students regardless of family income. Do you think this is a good idea? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In your country, are food prices expensive, cheap, or acceptable? Discuss.
- What factors do you think affect the prices of food? Discuss.
- In your opinion, which is a bigger problem, food insecurity or food waste? Discuss.