Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. It took her 10 years to write her bestselling novel.
- ex. I loved the movie adaptation of the book!
- ex. Merchandise based on the anime include shirts, dolls, and postcards.
- ex. The employees have mixed reactions about the strict mask policy in the office.
- ex. The show was a flop, so it got canceled after one season.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
Hit Japanese manga One Piece is coming to Netflix as a live-action series. Released by Shonen Jump, One Piece is currently the world’s bestselling manga. It already has an anime adaptation with over 900 episodes. It also has movies, video games, and merchandise based on it. The live-action adaptation will be released later this year.
Fans have mixed reactions about the announcement. Some are excited to see the characters come to life, but some are worried. Nina Oiki, a long-time fan of the manga, said that she is ready to judge the live-action series and see if it is good. She adds that she understands why some fans are worried about the Hollywood adaptation. Netflix has turned a lot of manga and anime into live-action shows, but some of them were not very successful.
The Netflix adaptation of Death Note in 2017 was called a flop by many fans. Cowboy Bebop, which is based on a manga about cowboys in outer space, was canceled after one season. However, Japan pop culture expert Roland Kelts said that now is a “stunning moment for anime” because Netflix is helping make entertainment borderless.
This material was based on an article by The Associated Press.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
Manga and Anime
- "One Piece" is the world’s bestselling manga. Why do you think a lot of people around the world like it (ex. it’s a cool adventure, the art is great)? Discuss.
- Do you think making live-action adaptations of manga or anime is a good idea? Why or why not? Discuss.
- "One Piece" currently has more than 900 episodes. Would you watch an anime or show that has so many episodes? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Kelts said that Netflix is helping make entertainment “borderless.” Do you think it’s important for shows, books, etc. from one country to reach other countries? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In your opinion, what qualities should a show, book, or movie have so that it can be successful internationally (ex. it’s unique, people can relate to it)? Discuss.
- Some international adaptations change the story from the original. Why do you think this is done? Discuss.