Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. Our country’s athletes fared well in the Olympics.
- ex. My grandmother has been staying at a nursing home.
- ex. A phone call from my mother eased my anxiety.
- ex. My transition from high school to college was not easy.
- ex. The country was filled with grief when the queen died.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
Allowing elderly people to keep their pets will help them fare better in their nursing homes, according to new research from the University of South Australia. Currently, however, only 18% of nursing homes in Australia welcome pets. This may be because nursing homes need to focus on the elderly, who need a lot of care and attention.
Dr. Janette Young, a researcher at the University of South Australia, is already setting up a project to put cats in nursing homes. She says that the project will help ease the loneliness of elderly residents. It can also relieve stress, anxiety, and depression. Entering a care facility is not easy for the elderly, and having to let go of their pets makes the transition even harder. Dr. Young believes that it adds grief to those who need to enter nursing homes.
Dr. Young said that the project is not easy, but she believes that it’s possible and very important. Cathy Webster, a 73-year-old resident in a nursing home, was able to keep her dog Muffin. She said that Muffin keeps her and her husband happy and active.
This material was based on an article by The Associated Press.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- Do you agree with Dr. Young’s project to put cats in nursing homes? Why or why not? Discuss.
- What do you think are the qualities of a good nursing home (ex. clean, safe)? Discuss.
- Cathy Webster said that Muffin keeps her and her husband happy and active in their nursing home. Should all elderly residents be allowed to keep pets from their homes? Why or why not? Discuss.
Animals and Healthcare
- Do you think animals can help improve people’s health? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Service animals are trained to help people with disabilities (ex. blind people) in their everyday lives. Do you think it’s a good idea to use service animals? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Emotional support animals help ease negative emotions like loneliness and anxiety. Would you like to have an emotional support animal? Why or why not? Discuss.