Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. I like the fitness program of this gym.
- ex. We should work out for at least 30 minutes every day.
- ex. He is motivated to complete the project he started.
- ex. Problems aren’t good for the stability of our business.
- ex. You should get back in shape. You haven’t exercised for several months.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
COVID-19 has affected a lot of businesses badly, including gyms and fitness centers. In the United States, 25% of gyms and fitness centers have closed permanently since the pandemic began. Unlike bars and restaurants, no government aid was given to gym businesses. As fitness centers closed, customers started working out at home alone. But they began feeling less motivated to work out on their own.
However, things are getting better for many gyms and fitness centers. In general, the industry is showing signs of stability. The number of customers rose about 32% for the first two weeks of 2023. For gyms like Fuel Training Studio in Massachusetts, attendance is still quite low. But more people are coming in every day.
For gym businesses to get back in shape, they have to offer new services to attract more customers. One gym in New York began online training while other gym businesses started outdoor classes. As a result, new customers are coming in. Most of them are people who haven’t worked out before. Vincent Miceli, a personal trainer, believes that more people became interested in being healthy because of the pandemic.
This material was based on an article by The Associated Press.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- Do you like working out? Why or why not? Discuss.
- According to the article, people who worked out at home felt less motivated. Why do you think so? Discuss.
- In your opinion, is it important for a person to work out? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In the United States, no government aid was given to gym businesses since the pandemic began. Do you think this is fair? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Some gyms and fitness centers have started offering online training and outdoor classes. Would you like to try them? Why or why not? Discuss.
- A personal trainer said more people became interested in being healthy because of the pandemic. Do you agree? Why or why not? Discuss.