Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. Many elite athletes practice their sport six days a week.
- ex. Don’t worry about the new rules. They don’t apply to you.
- ex. We decided to extend the sale for one more week.
- ex. Every country sent two delegates to the conference.
- ex. Most employees were in favor of switching to flextime, but a few didn’t like the idea.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
The International Skating Union (ISU) has voted to slowly raise the minimum age for Olympic-level competitions from 15 to 17. For the 2023-24 season, skaters must be 16 years old to compete on the elite level, and from the 2024-25 season, they will have to be 17 years old. This rule change will apply to figure skating, speed skating, and synchronized skating.
Skaters who aren’t old enough to compete in elite events can participate in ISU junior events. Experts believe that the new minimum age will extend young skaters’ careers because it will protect them from many physical and mental risks that happen at the Olympic level. ISU President Jan Dijkema called the rule change a historic decision.
ISU delegates from 100 countries voted in favor of the new minimum age, while 16 voted against it. Israel was worried that the rule change might hurt smaller countries that have fewer skaters. However, Iceland and Ireland, which are also smaller countries, were in favor of the change. Ireland’s delegate explained, “We have to remember they are children first and athletes second.”
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
The New Minimum Age
- Do you agree with the new minimum age for elite skating events? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Israel was worried that the new minimum age might hurt smaller countries. Do you agree that smaller countries might be hurt? Why or why not? Discuss.
- The minimum age will slowly be raised over the next few years. Do you agree with this slow change, or should it happen immediately? Why? Discuss.
- The new minimum age for elite events will apply to figure skating, speed skating, and synchronized skating. Do you think it should apply to other sports too? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In your opinion, should other sports rules be changed (ex. penalty shootouts in soccer, on-court coaching in tennis)? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Who should have the power to vote on sports rule changes (ex. athletes, sports organizations)? Why? Discuss.