Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. Many people experienced isolation during the pandemic. They were forced to stay at home.
- ex. I think there will be peace if all countries have mutual trust.
- ex. From a business standpoint, some expenses are necessary.
- ex. Young children are vulnerable. They need their parents’ protection.
- ex. The widespread use of social media allows us to connect to people all over the world.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
Every week, a group of New Hampshire seniors gather to eat and talk with each other. This is part of social programs that help elderly people keep their mind and body healthy. The government gives money to restaurants to provide several nutritious food options to seniors. In addition, these restaurants become a place for senior citizens to have meaningful conversations. All these activities help the elderly restaurant visitors feel less lonely.
“Isolation is the new pandemic,” said Jon Eriquezzo, president of Meals on Wheels of Hillsborough County. He delivers meals to senior centers and seniors who cannot leave their homes. He said giving them food to eat is nice. But he thinks it’s even better for seniors to eat with other people and receive mutual support.
From a nutrition standpoint, “we eat better in groups,” said Jean Lloyd, a nutrition consultant. She thinks eating in groups is especially good for seniors because they are vulnerable and they usually feel lonely. Studies show that widespread loneliness in the U.S. is as deadly as smoking 15 cigarettes daily. The social programs hope to reduce hunger, but more importantly, promote social interaction among the elderly.
This material was based on an article by The Associated Press.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- Why do you think mutual support is important? Discuss.
- What challenges can stop people from practicing mutual support (ex. being shy, lack of time and money)? Discuss.
- How do the seniors in your country show their support to each other (ex. eat together, organize sports clubs)? Discuss.
Social Interaction and Loneliness
- Do you agree that social interaction can make people feel less lonely? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you like eating alone or with friends and family? Why? Discuss.
- Is it possible to feel happy even when you are alone? Why or why not? Discuss.