Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. This advertisement is misleading. It says buyers can get a free smartphone, but not really.
- ex. According to the news, a wave of tourists arrived at the airport this month.
- ex. The company is facing a lawsuit for not paying its employees correctly.
- ex. The cake looks mouthwatering. I can’t wait to eat it!
- ex. Cat and dog videos are always viral because they are fun to watch.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
Many people in the United States are complaining that some food and drink ads are misleading. That’s why there has been a wave of lawsuits against different food and beverage companies recently. One of these companies is Burger King. According to one lawsuit, Burger King’s ads make burgers and other sandwiches look larger and more mouthwatering.
Burger King is not the only company facing lawsuits for misleading ads. Many snack companies received complaints of false advertising for not filling their bags of chips. Some food and beverage companies are also facing complaints for not putting pure vanilla on their “vanilla-flavored” products. According to one law office, there were 214 lawsuits against food and beverage companies in 2022. And 101 more were filed in the first half of 2023.
So, why does the number of complaints about misleading ads keep growing? Jordan Hudgens, a tech expert, believes that social media makes issues like this go viral. But these lawsuits could produce good results. For one, companies would be more careful with their ads. But on the other hand, more realistic photos might lead to lower sales.
This material was based on an article by The Associated Press.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- Do you think advertisements are effective for you? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Are false and misleading advertisements common in your country? Discuss.
- Aside from food and beverage companies, what other businesses usually make misleading ads (ex. hair products, laundry products)? Discuss.
Going Viral on Social Media
- What kind of posts, videos, or photos usually become viral on social media (ex. funny posts, unpleasant posts)? Discuss.
- Why do you think some posts, videos, or photos become viral? Discuss.
- Do you want your posts, videos, or photos to become viral? Why or why not? Discuss.