Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. Nixon never went to jail because he was pardoned by President Ford in 1974.
- ex. Many companies won’t hire people with criminal records.
- ex. Marijuana is legal in California, but you need a license for cannabis distribution.
- ex. This is a pet-free apartment, but we turn a blind eye to my neighbor’s cats because they’re very quiet.
- ex. The jail offers a variety of mental health and job training programs to help rehabilitate criminals.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
On his way to work earlier this year, Dexter Jackson received a call that changed his life. The American was told that he and two other people had been pardoned by President Biden. His criminal record had been officially erased! Jackson says that he had to stop his car and take a deep breath.
In the US, many people with criminal records are not allowed to vote, and they often struggle to find a job. Jackson says that he’s very thankful to President Biden for pardoning him. The 52-year-old went to jail for cannabis distribution in 2002. Jackson actually never sold marijuana, but drug dealers sold it at his pool hall. Jackson says that he was friends with the wrong people and turned a blind eye to their illegal activities.
In addition to pardoning three people, Biden also shortened the jail time for 75 other criminals. A White House spokesperson said that the president targeted people who did low-level drug crimes and have worked hard to rehabilitate themselves. “America is a nation of laws and second chances,” Biden explained in a statement.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- In your opinion, should presidents and prime ministers be able to pardon criminals? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Biden pardoned people who did low-level drug crimes and have worked hard to rehabilitate themselves. Do you agree with his targets? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Biden said that America is a nation of laws and second chances. In your opinion, should everyone get a second chance? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Jackson turned a blind eye to his friends’ illegal activities, but he never sold marijuana. Do you think that he’s a criminal? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In your opinion, should criminals be allowed to vote? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you think that every criminal can be rehabilitated? Why or why not? Discuss.