Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. Did you see last night’s episode? It was a re-run.
- ex. I have to do a few errands after work tomorrow.
- ex. “Baby Bear and Friends” is a really wholesome TV show.
- ex. Customers were divided about the new flavor. Some liked it, but others didn’t.
- ex. You can’t leave your dog alone for a week. That’s negligence.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
Netflix has begun showing re-runs of a popular Japanese variety show from the 1990s. “Old Enough!” shows children between the ages of two and five going out to do simple errands for their parents. In one of the most popular episodes, three-year-old Yuka goes to her local market to buy fresh seafood for dinner.
Netflix calls “Old Enough!” “the most wholesome show you’ve ever seen,” but US viewers are divided. One parent on Twitter said that she wishes she could do the same with her children. However, others called it crazy and said that Netflix was promoting negligence. The show’s creators explained that production staff and camera crew were always near the children to make sure that they were safe.
Junji Ouchi, the show’s executive director, said that he wanted to highlight Japan’s errand tradition before it disappears. Many Japanese parents feel that this tradition is a good way to give their children independence and confidence. Nowadays, the tradition is more common in the countryside, but young children still go to school by themselves even in major cities like Tokyo and Osaka.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
Children in Japan
- In your opinion, why were some US viewers angry about "Old Enough!" (ex. they can’t imagine how safe Japan is, they’re worried about the children)? Discuss.
- Do you agree that Japan's errand tradition is a good way to give children independence and confidence? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In your opinion, is it safe for really young children to go to school by themselves in major cities like Tokyo and Osaka? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Netflix has begun showing re-runs of old shows from many different countries. In your opinion, what old TV shows from your country could become popular on Netflix? Why? Discuss.
- In your opinion, what's the best kind of TV show (ex. variety shows, medical dramas)? Why? Discuss.
- Studies say that the average American watches TV about 3-4 hours a day. What do you think about this (ex. it's reasonable, it's too much)? Why? Discuss.