Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. I don’t like clowns. I think they’re creepy.
- ex. A lot of jellyfish washed up on the beach during the storm.
- ex. We bought two dozen jelly doughnuts for the office.
- ex. The bottom of the boat is covered in barnacles.
- ex. Many old books were destroyed in the library fire.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
According to ocean researchers, creepy dolls have been washing up on a beach in southeastern Texas recently. The scientists walk along the beach twice a week to monitor local birds and sea turtles. They say they’ve seen dozens of dolls among the plastic bags, shoe soles, and other “regular” garbage.
No one knows why the dolls keep washing up on the beach, but the researchers describe them as “nightmares.” Some are missing hair and body parts, while others have barnacles growing on them. The scientists have started to auction the dolls online. They say the money will be used to help sea turtles and other local wildlife. One popular late night TV show jokingly announced that the creepy dolls were cursed and offered $10,000 (about ¥1.3 million) to destroy them.
The scientists say that the garbage on Texas beaches usually increases in spring and summer. They explained that most of the garbage is plastic, which is very dangerous for ocean animals. The “next time you see something on the ground, pick it up,” one researcher said. “You could be saving wildlife.”
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
The Creepy Dolls
- Why do you think the creepy dolls are washing up on the Texas beach (ex. a boat with dolls sank, someone threw dolls in the ocean)? Discuss.
- Do you want to buy one of the creepy dolls? Why or why not? Discuss.
- What do you think about the TV show’s announcement that the creepy dolls are “cursed” (ex. it’s funny, it might be true)? Why? Discuss.
- Do you agree that people should always pick up garbage when they see it? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In recent years, many stores have stopped using plastic straws. In your opinion, will small actions like this really help the Earth? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In your opinion, do most people understand how their garbage can hurt wild animals? Why or why not? Discuss.