Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. Hundreds of fans came to bid farewell to the popular singer.
- ex. Many American university students have a lot of debt.
- ex. This sentence is so vague. What does it mean?
a New Year’s resolution
- ex. Every year, I make the same New Year’s resolution: to lose weight!
fall off track
- ex. I was on a diet, but I fell off track and ate two pieces of cake today.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
As the world prepares to bid farewell to 2021, millions of people are starting to think about their goals for the upcoming year. Becoming healthier, spending more time with family, and getting out of debt are three common New Year’s resolutions, but experts say that only about 12% of people will successfully achieve these goals. Even worse, 23% will give up by the middle of January!
According to experts, one common mistake that people make is to set vague goals. Author Amy Morin says that New Year’s resolutions should be measurable. She explains that “I will go to the gym three times a week” is a better goal than “I will become healthier.” Morin also recommends using an app, calendar, or chart to track your progress.
Morin says that people shouldn’t lose motivation if they fall off track. She explains that sometimes you might not have time to go to the gym, but that’s not a reason to give up on your health goals. According to one study, people who achieved their New Year’s resolutions fell off track about 14 times!
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
New Year’s Resolutions
- In your opinion, why do most people not achieve their New Year's resolutions? Discuss.
- Do you think it's important to make New Year's resolutions every year? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you agree that "I will go to the gym three times a week" is a better goal than "I will become healthier"? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In your opinion, which is more important, New Year's Eve or New Year's Day? Why? Discuss.
- In your opinion, what is the ideal New Year's meal? Why? Discuss.
- In your opinion, what New Year's traditions from your country could be popular in other countries (ex. nengajo, otoshidama)? Why? Discuss.