Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. The economy isn’t doing very well. Several big retailers have closed this year.
- ex. Low-income families can apply for help from the government.
- ex. Consumers panicked and bought all the toilet paper in the area.
- ex. My mom was very good with money and always tried to stretch our budget.
- ex. It’s only $5? That’s a really good deal!
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
Dollar stores are experiencing a major boom in the US. Over 9,000 dollar stores have opened in the country since 2017, and their numbers are continuing to grow. The top three dollar store chains – Dollar General, Dollar Tree, and Family Dollar – have announced plans to open up 1,626 new locations. This is more than most other major retailers.
Many people believe that dollar store customers are low-income consumers. However, according to one money-saving expert, dollar stores appeal to all shoppers who want to save money and stretch their budget. A recent study showed that 28% of consumers have switched to shopping at cheaper retailers like dollar stores because of increasing prices.
As their popularity grows, dollar stores are expanding the types of goods that they offer. Some have started to sell fresh food and even medicine. They’re also partnering with big brands to attract more customers. However, experts warn against buying everything at dollar stores. Some dollar store goods aren’t the best deal that you can get, one explained.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- Do you think that the dollar store boom will continue for a long time? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you think it's a good idea to buy fresh food or medicine at a dollar store? Why or why not? Discuss.
- According to one expert, some dollar store goods aren’t the best deal that you can get. Do you agree? Why or why not? Discuss.
Consumers and Retailers
- Do you think that more consumers will switch to shopping at cheaper retailers in the near future? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In your opinion, was 2021 a better year for retailers than 2020? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you think that partnering with big brands is a good way for retailers to attract more consumers? Why or why not? Discuss.