Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. I didn’t like the initial design, but the second version was nice.
- ex. Brian hit his weight loss goal in only six months.
- ex. You should be very proud of your accomplishments.
- ex. Be careful if you go out alone. Some people were mugged here last week.
- ex. The soup is lacking flavor. Did you forget to use salt?
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
A British man has run 200 marathons in only 128 days. Nick Butter’s initial goal was to run 200 marathons (8,432 kilometers) in 100 days, which meant that he needed to run a double marathon every day. Unfortunately, Butter became injured and had to switch to running a single marathon every day. He hit his goal of 200 marathons on August 22, only 28 days behind schedule.
This is not Butter’s only amazing accomplishment. In 2019, he achieved his dream of running a marathon in every country in the world by running 196 marathons in 196 countries. In the two years that it took him to run the marathons, Butter was hit by a car, bitten by a dog, and even mugged.
Butter used to work at a bank in the UK, but he felt that his life was lacking something, so he quit his job to run around the world. He and his partner currently live in a van and travel around Europe. Butter said he has no plans to return to his old life as a banker.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- Butter’s initial goal was to run 200 marathons in 100 days. In your opinion, why did he set such an amazing goal (ex. he wanted to be famous, he loves running)? Discuss.
- Butter said he has no plans to return to his old life as a banker. Do you agree with his decision? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Butter ran a marathon in every country in the world. Imagine that you can do one thing in every country in the world. What do you want to do (ex. go to a concert, eat at McDonald’s)? Why? Discuss.
Life Choices and Accomplishments
- What should people do if they feel their life is lacking something (ex. find a new hobby, move to a new place)? Why? Discuss.
- Imagine that you can quit your job and can do anything that you want. What will you do (ex. start a band, travel)? Why? Discuss.
- In your opinion, what was your biggest accomplishment in life so far (ex. graduating with honors, becoming a parent)? Why? Discuss.