Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. The students drew pictures for their beloved teacher when she got very sick.
- ex. According to my dad’s will, I’ll get his house, and my sister will get his motorcycle collection.
- ex. The billionaire put some money in a trust for his children.
- ex. We’ll reimburse you for your hotel and food costs during your business trip.
- ex. Yuki uses an app to monitor her monthly expenses.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
Bill Dorris, an 84-year-old businessman from Tennessee, passed away and left $5 million to his beloved border collie, Lulu. According to Dorris’ will, the money will be put in a trust to provide for the dog’s care. The 8-year-old border collie is now a millionaire.
Dorris’ will also states that Lulu will stay with his friend Martha Burton. Burton has helped take care of Lulu for several years. When he was still alive, Dorris used to travel a lot, and he often left Lulu with Burton during his trips. The trust will reimburse Burton for the monthly expenses of taking care of Lulu.
Dorris is not the first pet owner to leave a lot of money for a dog. Leona Helmsley, a famous hotel owner, left $12 million to her Maltese when she passed away in 2007. Businesswoman Muriel Siebert left $100,000 to her pet Chihuahua, while American actress Lauren Bacall’s papillon got $10,000 when she died in 2014.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
Leaving Money in Wills
- Do you think it's reasonable to leave money for dogs or other pets in your will? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Imagine that you're Burton. How do you feel about the money that Dorris left for Lulu (ex. happy, jealous)? Why? Discuss.
- Imagine that someone left a lot of money for you in a will. What are you going to do with the money (ex. put it in the bank, buy a new car)? Why? Discuss.
- When pet owners have to travel, what should they do with their pets (ex. travel with them, ask a friend to take care of them)? Why? Discuss.
- The article talked about many different types of dogs. In your opinion, what's the best type of dog (ex. poodles, dachshunds)? Why? Discuss.
- Other than dogs, what animals make the best pets (ex. cats, fish)? Why? Discuss.