Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. It was early, so there were only a few vehicles on the road.
a theory test
- ex. To pass the theory test, you need to correctly answer at least 18 out of 20 questions.
a practical test
- ex. I’m not worried about the practical test; I’m confident in my skills.
- ex. If you work hard, you’ll succeed!
- ex. My sister said I was a bad singer and discouraged me from joining the acapella group.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
According to a report from the Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), one UK man has finally passed his driver theory test after failing 157 times. The man spent a total of £3,600 (about ¥540,000) on the driving test costs. To get his driver’s license, the next step for the man is to pass the practical test.
Based on DVSA statistics, the man is not the only one who has failed driving tests multiple times. One 48-year-old woman passed the driver theory test on her 94th attempt, and a 72-year-old man succeeded in getting his license after 43 practical tests.
While some say that people who fail the tests many times should not be allowed to drive, not everyone agrees. One man used a common expression to explain his feelings: “It’s true what they say: If at first you don’t succeed, try, try, and try again,” he said. The man added that driving tests can be one of life’s hardest challenges, and people who need more attempts than others shouldn’t be discouraged from trying again.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- Do you think people who fail driving tests many times should be allowed to drive? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Which do you think is more important, the driver theory test or the practical test? Why? Discuss.
- Do you think it should be cheap and easy to get a driver's license? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Should everyone learn how to drive? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Who should teach people how to drive (ex. parents, driving school instructors)? Why? Discuss.
- Do you think that driving is easy? Why or why not? Discuss.