Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. My friend is a veteran; he was in the army for many years.
- ex. I was so happy when I received my diploma on graduation day.
- ex. My parents made many sacrifices to support my education.
- ex. He dropped out of school when he was 15.
- ex. My grandma sometimes tells stories about my great-great-grandfather.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
Albert Montella, a World War II veteran from Pennsylvania, USA, received a high school diploma only weeks before his 100th birthday. The diploma was given by the Rose Tree Media School District at a small outdoor ceremony. Montella’s family and a local group of firefighters attended the event.
Montella’s granddaughter said that Montella made many sacrifices throughout his life. She explained that her grandfather dropped out of high school in 1938 to help support his family and later served in the US Navy during World War II. Montella has a large family and is now a great-great-grandfather.
The head of the Rose Tree Media School District said that the diploma is a little way of saying thank you for Montella’s service to his country, community, and family. The 99-year-old was very excited and surprised to receive it. At the ceremony, Montella said that he hopes that everyone can live as long as he has, and he added that it’s very important to love and be nice to others.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- Do you think supporting one's family is a good reason to quit school? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Is it a good idea to go back to school at an older age (ex. university in your late 20s, grad school in your 30s)? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you think it's okay to give diplomas to people who didn't really finish school? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you want to live to be 100 years old? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Should communities give special treatment to older people (ex. lower prices, free hospital services)? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you think your country is a good place to grow old? Why or why not? Discuss.