Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. The principal proposed new school rules.
- ex. There have been a lot of employee absences lately because it’s flu season.
- ex. My boss always checks staff attendance during events.
- ex. People who eat healthy food are more likely to live longer.
- ex. You’re less likely to get hungry if you eat a heavy meal.
- ex. The new employee is performing very well.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
One local government in England proposed a fine of £1,000 (about ¥140,000) for parents who take their children on vacation during the school term. This cost is an increase from the current £120 (about ¥17,000) fine. The government explained that the new fine can help lessen unapproved student absences.
According to the government, class attendance helps students learn better. A study by the U.K.’s Department for Education also found that children are less likely to perform well in class if they take even a short break from school.
In the U.K., many parents take their children on vacation during the school term because prices of hotels and flights are cheaper when it is not peak time. A lot of parents usually bring their children to popular vacation destinations in the U.K., in other European countries, and in the U.S.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- How strict are schools in your country about class attendance? Why? Discuss.
- When should students be allowed to miss school (ex. when they're sick, when there’s a family emergency)? Why? Discuss.
- Do you agree that class attendance helps students learn better? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Which holidays in your country usually have the highest vacation prices? Why? Discuss.
- What do you think is the best time to get cheaper prices for a vacation (ex. in January, in the fall)? Why? Discuss.
- Do you think it's okay for prices to increase during popular vacation times? Why or why not? Discuss.