Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. I only spend a lot of money on essential things, like food and rent.
- ex. The air quality in the city is very bad because of smog.
- ex. She had a severe fever, so she had to go to the hospital.
- ex. Smoking is a trigger for health issues, like lung problems and heart diseases.
- ex. We use a sprinkler to water the plants in our yard.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
In New Delhi, the government closed schools and did not allow polluting vehicles and construction work. Only essential activities, like metro rail, airport, and defense were allowed to operate. This is to reduce the worst smog of the season. The smog caused lung problems among people. It also surrounded monuments and buildings in and around India’s capital.
According to the Central Pollution Control Board, the air quality level is considered “severe.” This means that the air quality is more than 10 times higher than the global safety limit. Rajneesh Kapoor, a lung specialist, advised people to wear face masks and avoid morning walks and jogging. “This is a trigger for all types of respiratory infections and flu. It can cause uncontrollable blood pressure and other problems,” he said.
Authorities used water sprinklers and anti-smog guns to control the pollution. They also announced that drivers found using vehicles that cause smog should pay 20,000 rupees (about ¥35,950). Almost every year, New Delhi is considered to have the worst air quality among Indian cities, especially in winter, because nearby states burn crops when it’s cold.
This material was based on an article by The Associated Press.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
Living in the City
- Do you like to live in the city? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In your opinion, what changes should happen in your city (ex. have cleaner air, create more parks)? Why? Discuss.
- In what city would you like to live in? Why? Discuss.
Smog and Poor Air Quality
- Is smog a problem in your area as well? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In your opinion, how can cities with smog improve the air quality? Discuss.
- In your opinion, what are the causes of poor air quality? Discuss.