Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. During the pandemic, there was a shortage of some important medical supplies, like masks and gloves.
- ex. That country earns a lot from its oil and gas exports.
- ex. The sales increase prompted the company to produce more products.
- ex. The new product regulations will keep people safe and protected.
- ex. A lot of people were disappointed by the travel bans.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
How can you prepare a meal when necessary ingredients are expensive? This is the question that families all over the world are trying to solve. Families are experiencing shortages of basic foods, like rice, cooking oil, and onions. Why is this happening? Many countries have decreased their food export to protect their own supplies from the effects of climate change, El Niño, and the Russia and Ukraine war.
By 2014, Kenya was getting half of its onion supply from Tanzania. However, Tanzania has put a limit on the export of onions. This led to the higher prices of local onions. Very hot weather affected Spain’s olive oil production. Now, European countries are buying it from Turkey for a higher price. This prompted authorities to restrict their exports as well.
Joseph Glauber from the International Food Policy Research Institute said Tanzania limits onion export to Kenya because of supply shortages. According to the institute, there are 41 food export regulations in 19 countries currently. It can be in the form of bans or taxes.
This material was based on an article by The Associated Press.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
Food Supply and Prices
- In your opinion, are food prices high or low these days? Why? Discuss.
- Why do you think food prices are going up? Discuss.
- What can we do to lower the food prices? Discuss.
Food Shortage and Export
- What is the main food that a lot of people eat in your country (ex. noodles, rice)? How often do you eat this food? Discuss.
- What food from your country would you like to export to other countries? Why? Discuss.
- Why do you think there are food shortages in some countries? Discuss.