Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. My uncle works at a company that manufactures phones.
- ex. The boy felt excited when the airplane took off.
- ex. The aviation business slowed down during the pandemic.
- ex. There are many different kinds of aircraft in the airport.
- ex. The shopping mall operates from 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
Joby Aviation Inc. announced its plan to manufacture electric planes that take off and land vertically. The manufacturing facility will be built in Dayton, Ohio, the place where Orville and Wilbur Wright lived and worked. The Wright brothers invented the first motor airplane. The facility construction will begin in 2024, and the production of the planes will begin in 2025.
Joby’s decision to build its facility at Dayton International Airport is important. According to Governor Jon Husted, “For a hundred years, the Dayton area has been a leader in aviation innovation.” The facility is expected to produce up to 500 aircraft per year. This will create 2,000 jobs in Ohio. In an interview, Joby CEO JoeBen Bevirt said he’s excited to operate the business in Ohio because it’s the birthplace of aviation.
Joby’s aircraft is designed to transport a pilot and four passengers at speeds of up to 200 miles (321.87 km) per hour. Joby uses technology that makes the aircraft fly quietly. The plan is to use these aircraft as flying taxis. Toyota, an investor at Joby, promised to help the company prepare for the production of its air taxis.
This material was based on an article by The Associated Press.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- Joby’s planned facility in Dayton, Ohio will create 2,000 jobs. What do you think will be the reaction of residents (ex. excited, annoyed)? Why? Discuss.
- In your opinion, what future development can happen in aviation (ex. commercial flights to space)? Discuss.
- According to Governor Husted, “The Dayton area has been a leader in aviation innovation.” In what industry is your city known for (ex. manufacturing, tourism)? Discuss.
Traveling by Plane
- Would you like to ride Joby’s air taxi? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you think air taxis will be popular in the future? Why or why not? Discuss.
- As a passenger, what things in the aircraft make your flight feel comfortable? Discuss.