Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. When it comes to dancing, my brother is the best.
- ex. In my opinion, nothing beats vanilla. It’s my favorite flavor.
- ex. My friend is trying to decrease her carbon footprint by buying only locally-made products.
- ex. They shipped the package last week, but I still haven’t received it.
- ex. I only had a 15-minute break, so I ate my lunch as fast as possible.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
When it comes to Christmas trees, some people say that nothing beats a real one. Every year they cut down a fresh tree, bring it home, and carefully water it for weeks. Other people, however, prefer fake trees because they’re easy to care for and always stay green. But which type is the more eco-friendly option? According to experts, it depends.
In general, fake trees have a bigger carbon footprint than real trees because they’re usually made of plastic and shipped from overseas factories. Some studies say that fake trees become the more eco-friendly option if you keep them for five years. However, other studies have found that it can take 10 or even 20 years. If you already own a fake tree, experts recommend that you keep using it for as long as possible.
The first fake Christmas tree was sold in 1883. Their sales have increased to about 40% of the market, but Americans still buy over 25 million real trees each year. For every tree that’s cut down, farmers plant a new one in the spring. There are over 15,000 Christmas tree farms in the US.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- In your opinion, which are better: real Christmas trees or fake Christmas trees? Why? Discuss.
- Some countries celebrate more on Christmas Eve, while other countries celebrate more on Christmas Day. In your country, which is more important? Why? Discuss.
- Do you think it's important for children to believe in Santa Claus? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In your opinion, which are more eco-friendly: real Christmas trees or fake Christmas trees? Why? Discuss.
- When you buy something, is it important to think about the product's carbon footprint? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you think your country is very eco-friendly? Why or why not? Discuss.