Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. My son loves to go outside and play in the dirt.
- ex. Many people got sick from the bacteria on the lettuce.
- ex. The sidewalk is concrete, but the road is asphalt.
- ex. My mom had skin cancer, but she beat it.
- ex. My feet are very delicate, so I don’t like to go barefoot.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
Do you take your shoes off at the door, or do you leave them on? This debate has been ongoing in the US for a long time, but a group of environmental scientists recently gave their answer. They announced that people should not wear their shoes in the house.
In the US, the most common reason for taking off your shoes is to keep your carpets nice. However, according to the scientists, dirt is only a minor problem. They said that keeping your shoes on in the house can actually be dangerous for your health. The scientists explained that shoes bring in bacteria that are difficult to kill with regular medicine. Shoes also bring in garden chemicals and small pieces of asphalt, which can both cause cancer.
Despite the scientists’ warning, many Americans said that they’re still going to wear their shoes at home. They explained that shoes protect your feet and are much more comfortable than going barefoot. One opinion article in The Wall Street Journal even claimed that wearing shoes in the home can lower your risk of allergies.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- Many Americans say that they’re still going to wear shoes at home. What do you think about this (ex. it’s reasonable, it’s a bad idea)? Why? Discuss.
- Do you think it’s a good idea to go barefoot outside? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you usually wear shoes for comfort or for fashion? Why? Discuss.
Keeping Your Home Clean
- In your opinion, how often should people clean their home (ex. every day, once a week)? Why? Discuss.
- In your home, what’s the hardest thing to keep clean (ex. the floors, the kitchen)? Why? Discuss.
- Do you think it’s possible to keep your home too clean? Why or why not? Discuss.