Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. My parents covered the cost of my wedding dress.
- ex. You need to show proof of your age to buy alcohol.
- ex. I thought I had the flu, but the test was negative.
- ex. I made meatballs for my dog as a reward for learning some new tricks.
through thick and thin
- ex. We’ve been best friends through thick and thin for over 20 years.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
Thousands of Manchester City (Man City) soccer fans enjoyed a free trip to Porto, Portugal, to watch the team play against Chelsea. Sheikh Mansour, owner of the team, covered the overseas travel expenses and other costs for all Man City fans who attended the game. It was the team’s first time in the UEFA Champions League final.
Because of the Covid-19 situation, the Man City fans were only allowed to stay in Portugal for 24 hours. They also needed to show proof of a negative coronavirus test before the trip. The fans traveled with the team, arriving in Portugal on the day of the final and leaving the country on the same day.
Man City explained that they decided to offer the free trip because travel costs have become more expensive, and the team wanted fans to enjoy the game without worrying about money. Sheikh Mansour added that the free trip was a reward to fans who supported the team through thick and thin.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- In your opinion, what sport has the biggest number of fans in your country? Why? Discuss.
- Do you think it's a good idea to travel far to see a game right now? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Sheikh Mansour covered the overseas travel expenses and other costs for all Man City fans who attended the game. Do you think that was a good use of his money? Why or why not? Discuss.
Traveling During Covid-19
- Some countries have started to allow foreign tourists again, but others are still banning them. Do you think your country should allow foreign tourists right now? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In your opinion, what are good reasons to travel during the Covid-19 situation (ex. to see family, for work)? Why? Discuss.
- How has Covid-19 affected the travel industry in your country (ex. airlines lost a lot of money, hotels closed)? Why? Discuss.