Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. I don’t cook, so I eat out every day.
let (someone) go
- ex. Kevin was late almost every day last month, so we decided to let him go.
- ex. Both of my kids work in the IT industry. One is a programmer, and the other is a web designer.
- ex. The minimum wage in New York City is $15 an hour.
- ex. I applied for the job because it offered a lot of benefits like health insurance, paid holidays, and even free lunch.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
As the US economy opens up more and more, many people are looking forward to eating out again, but restaurants say that they’re struggling to find workers. One New York City restaurant owner complained that he recently received zero interest in an ad for a cook position. Before Covid-19, he usually interviewed 60 to 80 people for the same position.
In 2020, many restaurants decided to let their staff go when their states entered lockdown. Between March and April 2020 about 5.5 million jobs in the restaurant industry were lost. Many restaurant workers found work in different industries, explaining that they’re afraid to go back to the restaurant business. They’re worried that last year’s events could happen again.
Many former restaurant workers also say that pay in the industry is too low. In the US, restaurant staff can earn less than minimum wage if they receive tips, and they often have no benefits like paid holidays or health insurance. Critics say that the industry will have to change greatly if restaurants want to find workers again.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- Do you think it was okay for many restaurants to let their staff go when their states entered lockdown last year? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Imagine that you’re a former restaurant worker who found work in a different industry last year. Are you interested in returning to the restaurant business when the economy opens up more? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you think it’s safe to eat out at restaurants now? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In your opinion, should all jobs (including part-time jobs) provide benefits? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you think the minimum wage in your country is high enough? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In your opinion, do most companies in your country provide enough paid holidays? Why or why not? Discuss.