Helpful Words and Phrases
Listen and repeat. 聞いてリピートしましょう。
- ex. My little brother had a tantrum because it was bedtime but he wanted to keep playing.
- ex. Don’t talk to Mike. Just ignore him.
- ex. After I asked for a dog every day for three weeks, my mom finally gave in and said okay.
- ex. Driving when you’re tired can have dangerous consequences.
- ex. I’m going to run errands after work tomorrow. I need to go to the supermarket and drugstore.
Read the article below and answer your tutor's questions.記事を読んで講師からの質問に答えましょう。
Tricia Ferrera, author of Parenting 2.0, gave advice to parents about how to handle tantrums. Ferrera said that the best thing to do is stay calm. If parents get angry, that will only make the situation worse, she explained. Ferrera added that parents may feel embarrassed when their children have tantrums in public places, but they should try to ignore the people around them.
Ferrera explained that parents should never give in when children are having tantrums. If they do, children may start having tantrums whenever they want something. Instead, Ferrera said that parents should set consequences. For example, if their children don’t stop screaming, then they won’t be able to play with their friends later.
Ferrera also explained that it’s harder for children to control their emotions when they’re tired or hungry, so parents should be prepared. If they’re going to be out of the house long, parents should bring snacks. If possible, they should also avoid running errands at the end of the day, she added.
Choose a topic and discuss the questions with your tutor.トピックを選び、質問に基づいて議論しましょう。
- In your opinion, is it acceptable for children to have tantrums sometimes? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you agree with Ferrera that parents should never give in to children when they’re having tantrums? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you agree that parents should set consequences for tantrums and other bad behavior? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Do you think that advice books are helpful? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Should people give advice about situations that they have no experience in (ex. handling tantrums, fighting a sickness)? Why or why not? Discuss.
- In your opinion, why do some people not like to receive advice from others? Discuss.