People love to talk about their ideal husband or wife. Talking about it with your friends can help you get to know them more.
STEP A EXPRESSIONS
I. Go over the expressions with your tutor.
1. One’s better half is someone’s husband, wife, or long-term partner.
My better half and I have been married for six wonderful years!
2. A match made in heaven is two people who are perfect for each other.
Zac and Nadia are a match made in heaven! He helps her be less shy, and she helps him be more sensitive.
3. To be on the same page with someone about something means to agree with someone about a certain topic.
Ethan is on the same page with Kate about their future. They both want to have three kids and a dog.
II. How would you describe the ideal spouse? Talk about it using the expressions above.
STEP B PRONUNCIATION
/ mey-din /
I’ve always known that we’re a match / mey-din / heaven!
Naoki and his Spanish coworker Miguel are talking at a bar after work.
Hey, remember the article I sent you? (laughs) What did you think about the writer’s take on marriage?
(laughs) I can actually relate to the pros and cons he mentioned, especially the part about your better half knowing how to make you angry.
Absolutely. When my wife and I got married, we both worked, but I was the only one who cleaned or cooked or tried to save money. She was okay living in a dirty apartment and eating out every day.
Oh, really? I thought you two were a match made in heaven!
Well, we are now! She did a complete 180 after we had our daughter, Aoi. Now, she’s on the same page with me about saving money and doing chores. Even though she quit her job to take care of Aoi, we’re actually saving more money now! Also, she even took cooking lessons while pregnant and now makes delicious, healthy meals for us every day. I’m so lucky to be married to her.
It sounds like you won the jackpot with her.
Absolutely. There’s only one thing we argue about now.
The promotion I’m aiming for. I’ve always dreamed of working abroad, but my wife doesn’t want us to move abroad because she’s worried about Aoi’s future education.
The phrase do a complete 180 means to suddenly change one’s opinion, plan, or way of thinking to the total opposite. The number 180 refers to a 180-degree angle.
STEP A EXERCISE
Complete the photo captions using the expressions in the box. The form of some expressions may need to be changed.
1. @Logan_01 Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Wright! You truly are _____.
2. @TerryK With Erin’s support, I’m confident that I can finish the marathon tomorrow! It’s so much easier when _____ is there to cheer you on.
3. @FaithWalsh I wanted a 1920s-style house, but Ben wanted a new one. After over a year of looking, we finally found a house that we both like! I never thought I would _____!
STEP B EXERCISE
Follow the instructions in the parentheses using the expressions in the box. Some expressions may be used more than once, and the form of some expressions may need to be changed.
- (Say that your sister and brother-in-law are a perfect couple.)
- (Say that your cousin’s husband is an athlete.)
- (Say that your mom and dad are arguing about what car to buy.)
- (Say that your coworker and his wife are very well-suited for each other.)
- (Say that you and your boyfriend/girlfriend agree on saving money.)
Your friend feels that he’s/she’s ready to get married. Talk to him/her about the ideal spouse.
- one’s better half
- a match made in heaven
- be on the same page with someone about something
Discuss your ideas.
THE IDEAL SPOUSE
A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN
BEING ON THE SAME PAGE
THE IDEAL SPOUSE
2A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN
3BEING ON THE SAME PAGE
I can talk about the ideal spouse.
LESSON GOAL ACHIEVEMENT
Could complete the task with ease
Could complete the task with some clarifications
Could complete the task with additional instructions
Could somehow complete the task with difficulty
the ability to use a wide variety of vocabulary
the ability to speak correctly
the ability to speak smoothly without pauses or fillers
the ability to speak logically and at length