Idols are a huge part of pop culture in Japan. In many ways Japanese idol culture is rather unique, so it’s good to know how to explain it to your foreign friends!
STEP A EXPRESSIONS
I. Go over the expressions with your tutor.
1. To be obsessed with something means to really like that thing, sometimes to an unhealthy degree.
Tina is obsessed with shoes—she buys a new pair every week!
2. If you can’t get enough of something, it means that you like it a lot and want more and more of it.
I can’t get enough of Korean dramas. I could watch them all day every day!
3. If something is manufactured, it means that it was created to appeal to a certain market or audience.
They’re a manufactured boy band. Producers put them together to appeal to teenage girls.
II. What kind of music do you like? What kind of music do you not like? Explain using the expressions above.
STEP B PRONUNCIATION
/ man-yu-fak-cherd /
Most boy bands these days are / man-yu-fak-cherd /.
/ uhb-sest /
I’m / uhb-sest / with electronic dance music!
Catherine and Saori are watching TV together.
Ooh, look, it’s Choco-radio! Aren’t they adorable?
Yeah, I guess. For a manufactured idol group, anyway.
What do you mean?! Choco-radio’s the best group ever! They’re so cute and talented. I’m obsessed with them. I can’t get enough of their catchy songs and dance moves!
Well, you can sing and dance along with them all you want at their concert in a few weeks. You bought tickets to it, right?
Yeah, I bought them about six months ago. I was really looking forward to going, but now I’m not so sure if I should…
Really? Why not?
I’m worried about the baby. My mom had a really difficult time when she was pregnant with me, you know. So far, I’ve been okay except for some morning sickness, but my doctor recommended I take it easy. (sighs)
Oh, that’s too bad…
Yeah. I really wanted to meet Choco-radio and get their autographs… (sighs) Oh, wait! How about I give you the tickets?
That way you can get their autographs for me! And you can see how awesome their live performances are. It’s a chance of a lifetime, Saori!
Sorry. I know how much you want their autographs, but I’m really not into idols. You should get Jun to go for you instead!
Morning sickness is the feeling of dizziness and nausea that many pregnant women get in the morning, especially during the first few months of pregnancy. Other phrases with the word sickness include motion sickness (feeling nauseated in a moving vehicle), seasickness (feeling nauseated while traveling at sea), and car sickness (feeling nauseated in a car).
STEP A EXERCISE
Choose the sentences that best use the underlined expressions.
- She can’t get enough of Mary Kelly’s novels, so she bought them all!
- She can’t get enough of Mary Kelly’s novels, so she avoids reading them.
- That celebrity couple’s relationship is clearly manufactured. They’re so sweet even behind the scenes!
- Those two celebrities aren’t really dating! Their relationship is clearly manufactured!
- All he ever thinks about is that video game. I think he’s obsessed with it.
- He’s obsessed with that video game. He tried it once and then never played it again.
- My sister can’t get enough of those cupcakes! She won’t stop eating them!
- My sister avoids eating high-sugar foods. She can’t get enough of those cupcakes.
STEP B EXERCISE
Complete the conversation using the expressions in the parentheses and your own information. The form of some expressions may need to be changed.
That was an awesome concert! Thanks for inviting me.
I knew you’d like Black Berries!
Yeah, they’re an awesome group. I don’t think they’re very popular, though. What made you like them so much? Is it their songs, their dancing, or their overall look?
(can’t get enough of something)
I see! You know, they’re a pop group, but their songs are so much better than normal pop songs. Why do you think that is?
That’s true. Man, all of the members are amazing! I especially like the one who plays guitar sometimes. Who’s your favorite?
(be obsessed with something)
Ah, I like her too!
Your foreign friend saw a video of an idol group’s performance online and is now very interested in them. Talk to him/her about idol groups in Japan.
- be obsessed with something
- can’t get enough of something
Discuss your ideas.
I can talk about Japanese idols.
LESSON GOAL ACHIEVEMENT
Could complete the task with ease
Could complete the task with some clarifications
Could complete the task with additional instructions
Could somehow complete the task with difficulty
the ability to use a wide variety of vocabulary
the ability to speak correctly
the ability to speak smoothly without pauses or fillers
the ability to manage a conversation