Social media is fun, but it also has a dark side. Being aware of it can help you stay safe.
STEP A EXPRESSIONS
Go over the expressions with your tutor and answer the questions.
1. To cyber-bully someone means to use texts, emails, and/or social media to harass a person.
She quit using social media because her classmates cyber-bullied her.
Q: What would you do if you found out that people were cyber-bullying your friend?
2. To troll means to post offensive messages online in order to make people angry.
He trolled the forum, so his account got blocked.
Q: Is it better to ignore or confront people who troll websites?
3. To bad-mouth someone means to say bad things about a person to other people.
She bad-mouths her coworker because she doesn’t like him.
Q: What would you do if you found out that someone was bad-mouthing you?
STEP B PRONUNCIATION
/ cyber-BULLY /
The popular kids / cyber-BULLY / him.
Naoki was on his way to lunch when he accidentally overheard Toru talking about him in the breakroom.
Many Japanese students say SNS, but this term is not really used by native speakers of English and may actually confuse them. The term social media is far more common.
Δ Do you have an SNS account?
O Do you have a social media account?
STEP A EXERCISE
Are the underlined expressions used correctly? If not, change the sentences.
- Dan bad-mouthed Samantha at work. He told everyone that she worked really hard.
- Mara cyber-bullies her classmates. They hate to get messages from her.
- Max trolled the forum under a fake name. He kept posting nice comments about the other members.
STEP B EXERCISE
Rephrase the sentences using the expressions in the box. Some expressions may be used more than once, and the form of some expressions may need to be changed.
ex. Jane posted mean things about her sister on social media.
→ Jane bad-mouthed her sister on social media.
- TimTomTum1985 was banned for posting offensive comments.
- Mandy’s coworker said negative things about her to their boss.
- Aaron likes to write things in the comments that upset other people.
- Craig’s classmates are uploading embarrassing pictures of him on social media.
Your friend loves to blog, but recently some people have been leaving mean messages about him/her in the comments. Listen to a popular vlogger’s video about how she handled cyber-bullying. Then, give your friend some advice.
- cyber-bully someone
- bad-mouth someone
Discuss your ideas.
THE DARK SIDE OF SOCIAL MEDIA
CHAT GROUP ETIQUETTE
THE DARK SIDE OF SOCIAL MEDIA
3CHAT GROUP ETIQUETTE
I can listen to and understand someone talking about the dark side of social media.
LESSON GOAL ACHIEVEMENT
Could complete the task with ease
Could complete the task with some clarifications
Could complete the task with additional instructions
Could somehow complete the task with difficulty
the ability to use a wide variety of vocabulary
the ability to speak correctly
the ability to speak smoothly without pauses or fillers
the ability to manage a conversation