Kawaii culture has captured many hearts around the world! It’s good to be able to explain this unique Japanese trend to your foreign friends.
STEP A EXPRESSIONS
Go over the expressions with your tutor and answer the questions.
1. When something is very cute, you can say that it’s adorable.
I couldn’t help but hug the stuffed bear I saw! It was so adorable!
Q: Which do you find more adorable? Why?
2. The mecca for something/someone is a place that many people want to visit because it is either very popular or very important for a certain thing or type of person.
My dream is to go to Broadway! It’s the mecca for theater.
Q: How would you describe Italy? Why?
the mecca for art enthusiasts
the mecca for food lovers
3. When someone says that something is so cute/ugly/stupid it hurts, he/she thinks it’s extremely cute/ugly/stupid.
Did you hear why he said he quit his job? The reason is so stupid it hurts.
Q: What do you think of hedgehogs? Why?
so ugly it hurts
so cute it hurts
STEP B PRONUNCIATION
/ kyoo-tit /
Your room is so / kyoo-tit / hurts!
/ stoo-pih-dit /
The idea’s so / stoo-pih-dit / hurts.
Saori received a voicemail from Catherine.
While it’s normal to use the Japanese word kawaii for both children and grown-ups in Japan, cute is not generally considered an ideal word for adults in Western cultures. It’s better to use the words pretty or beautiful for mature women and reserve cute mainly for children.
STEP A EXERCISE
Choose the correct expressions in the parentheses.
- Many people dream of going to Paris because it’s (so cute it hurts / the mecca for gourmet food).
- This movie is absolutely awful. It’s (adorable / so stupid it hurts).
- If you like fish, you should go to Hokkaido. It’s (the mecca for delicious seafood / adorable).
- I’m sure she’ll love your gift! It’s (adorable / the mecca for everything cute)!
STEP B EXERCISE
Make sentences using the pictures, words, and the expressions in the box. More than one answer may be possible, and the form of some expressions may need to be changed.
ex. (cat figurines)
→ Those cat figurines are so adorable!
Your foreign friend who loves kawaii culture is going to visit Japan soon. On TV, one of your favorite shows is introducing a new kawaii-themed shop in Harajuku. Listen to the TV show host talk about the new shop. Then, tell your friend about it.
- the mecca for something/someone
- so cute/ugly/stupid it hurts
Discuss your ideas.
I can listen to and understand someone talking about Japan’s kawaii culture.
LESSON GOAL ACHIEVEMENT
Could complete the task with ease
Could complete the task with some clarifications
Could complete the task with additional instructions
Could somehow complete the task with difficulty
the ability to use a wide variety of vocabulary
the ability to speak correctly
the ability to speak smoothly without pauses or fillers
the ability to manage a conversation