IN THIS LESSON, YOU WILL
2. Read a sales flier from a department store.
3. Choose a cake to buy.
STEP A EXERCISE
Decide whether each thing is worth it or a waste of money.
It’s worth it!
It’s a waste of money.
phones: buy one, get one free for ¥70,000
free cap with purchases over ¥30,000
spending money on very expensive coffee
STEP B EXERCISE
Choose the expressions in the box that best match the pictures. The form of some expressions may need to be changed.
1. I bought a really expensive concert ticket, so now I _____.
2. People call him _____ because he doesn’t like spending money.
3. _____ had a long vacation, _____ go to the beach.
4. My friends just got big bonuses, so they _____ on things like luxury watches.
It’s your friend Lea’s birthday soon! You and your other friend want to surprise her with a party. Decide which party supplies on your list you will buy. Try to limit the total price of the supplies to ¥2,000.
- spend money on something
- a waste of money
- be broke
- worth it
After going out to buy the party supplies, you decided to go to a nearby department store to look for a gift for Lea. Look at the sales flier below and find the perfect gift for under ¥5,000.
- buy one, get one free/half off
- free gift with purchases over price
Looking for awesome deals this spring? Come visit our store to see our latest promos!
We offer great deals on a wide selection of items:
- Ladies’ name-brand watches: Buy one, get one free for only ¥4,000
- 50% off all bags (now only ¥5,000!)
- Buy one, get one half off all sweaters (¥4,000)
- Free neck pillow with purchases over ¥5,000
- Free baseball cap when you buy a pair of sneakers for ¥7,000
What are you waiting for? Hurry before supplies run out!
You were able to buy a gift for under ¥5,000. Now, everything’s ready…except the cake! You have only about ¥3,000 left. Choose a nice cake with your friend.
Raspberry Chocolate Cake
Fruit Fantasy Glazed Cake
Chocolate Berry Cake
Glazed Pound Cake
- have money to burn
- if I..., I would...
- a cheapskate
- spend money on
- a waste of money
Plan a fun party with only ¥10,000.
Could complete the task with ease
Could complete the task with some clarifications
Could complete the task with additional instructions
Could somehow complete the task with difficulty
the ability to use a wide variety of vocabulary
the ability to speak correctly
the ability to speak smoothly without pauses or fillers
the ability to manage a conversation