Reading about people’s memories on social media can be a good way to relive the past.
STEP A EXPRESSIONS
I. Go over the expressions with your tutor.
1. You can use the phrase those were the days to express that something about the past was better than the present.
Do you remember when Mom would bring us home doughnuts from work when we were young?
Yeah! Those were the days.
2. You can use the phrase the good old days when… to talk about a certain period in the past.
Do you remember the good old days when we would just hang out at the ice cream store in front of our school?
Absolutely! I miss those days.
3. If a thing or person reminds someone of something/someone, it/he/she causes the person to remember a similar thing or person.
Hey, did you see those kids trick-or-treating last night?
Yeah! The little girl in the homemade costume reminded me of my sister. She always made her own costume.
II. Talk about a happy memory using the expressions above.
STEP B PRONUNCIATION
good old days
/ good ohl-deyz/
Those were the / good ohl-deyz /.
Kelsie is writing a social media post at a café.
Kelsie Williams – thinking about the past
2 minutes ago – Tokyo, Japan
Just spending some time alone here at my favorite coffee shop, enjoying my drink. It’s nice to have the coffee shop all to myself now… But actually, earlier, there were three girls across from my table. They were laughing and having fun and seemed to be telling funny stories to each other. Seeing them like that reminded me of how my two best friends and I used to be. The three of us were almost inseparable. I remember the good old days when we did everything together. We traveled a lot, went shopping, went out to eat, and went home from work together. We were always there for each other… You could say that we were like the three musketeers! Haha! Sigh… Those were the days. We spent a lot of fun times together… Just like the girls earlier, we liked to take selfies too! Today, I just took a photo of my coffee.
The term the three musketeers refers to fictional characters from a famous novel about three friends who go on an adventure to fight injustice. Over the course of their adventure, their friendship, teamwork, and trust toward one another are tested.
STEP A EXERCISE
Choose the sentences that best use the underlined expressions.
- Growing up, I almost never saw my parents because they were both always so busy at work. Those were the days.
- My dad would buy me a toy whenever I got good grades at school. Those were the days.
- Do you remember the good old days when we stayed up all night to prepare for our school festival? It was so much fun!
- I remember the good old days when I went on vacation last week. It was so much fun!
- That park reminds me of my childhood. I used to play there a lot when I was young.
- My friend reminds me of my brother. They’re so different.
STEP B EXERCISE
Complete the sentences using the pictures and the expressions in the box. The form of some expressions may need to be changed.
1. These days, I eat dinner alone. But when I was younger, we used to have __________. __________.
2. I remember ________. We usually would see a movie or go out to eat at a fancy restaurant.
3. This coffee ______. She’s always drinking coffee.
While browsing your social media, you came across a post written by a friend from high school. Read the social media post. Then, tell your other friend about it.
- Those were the days.
- the good old days when...
- remind someone of something/someone
Sara Norton – feeling nostalgic with Rin Watanabe, Hiro Tanaka, and Ryu Saito
5 minutes ago – Kyoto, Japan
It was my sister’s high school graduation today, and it reminded me of ours. Can you believe it’s been ten years since we graduated? How I miss the good old days when we would organize school festivals! That’s my favorite high school memory with you guys. We really had a lot of fun making festival decorations, setting up activities, and then having dinner afterwards. Those were the days… Don’t you miss them? How about a reunion?
Discuss your ideas.
REMEMBERING YOUR CHILDHOOD
THE GOOD OLD DAYS
PAST VS PRESENT
REMEMBERING YOUR CHILDHOOD
2THE GOOD OLD DAYS
3PAST VS PRESENT
I can read and understand a post about happy memories.
LESSON GOAL ACHIEVEMENT
Could complete the task with ease
Could complete the task with some clarifications
Could complete the task with additional instructions
Could somehow complete the task with difficulty
the ability to use a wide variety of vocabulary
the ability to speak correctly
the ability to speak smoothly without pauses or fillers
the ability to manage a conversation