People get excited when they see sales ads! Foreigners might need your help understanding the terms and conditions written in an ad.
STEP A EXPRESSIONS
I. Go over the expressions with your tutor.
1. If you say that something is worth it, it means that it’s a good deal for the price.
This wallet costs $100, but it’s real leather, so I think it’s worth it.
2. Buy one, get one free/half off means that if you buy one product, you will get another item for free or for half the price.
The store is having a buy one, get one free promo on all sunglasses.
3. If a store offers a free gift with purchases over price, you will get something free when you spend a certain amount.
Customers will receive a free box of chocolates with purchases over $20.
II. Give your opinion about the promos.
It’s worth it!
It’s not worth it.
name-brand watches: buy one, get one free for ¥35,000
sneakers: buy one, get one half off
free umbrella with purchases over ¥100,000
STEP B PRONUNCIATION
/ pur-chuh-siz /
Get a free pen with / pur-chuh-siz / over ¥2,000.
Kelsie got a sales flier from her favorite store. It was all in Japanese, so she took a picture of it and asked Yuko to translate it.
Here’s the translation of the sales flier you sent me:
Come visit our Great Summer Sale!
Find great deals and discounts this season:
- Summer dresses from Aurora Collection: Buy one, get one free
- Buy one, get one half off all Pastel flip-flops
- Save up to 50% on selected Filtr sunglasses
- Get a free pouch with purchases of Adventurer backpacks
- Get a free gift with purchases over ¥20,000
Hurry! Promo runs until July 10 only.
I think they’ve got some really good deals. Do you want to go to the mall together? Let’s buy some dresses from Aurora Collection! They’re kind of expensive, but they’re the cutest dresses I’ve ever seen. They’re definitely worth it!
Did you know that the Japanese word pochi (ポーチ) is often mistranslated as porch? In English, a porch refers to a veranda or a roofed area outside a house. The actual word for pochi (ポーチ) in English is pouch. Be careful – that can be an expensive mistake!
X Free porch with purchases over ¥6,000!
O Free pouch with purchases over ¥6,000!
STEP A EXERCISE
Choose the sentences that best match the original sentences.
1. The camera I bought was pretty expensive, but it has lots of advanced features.
- I think it’s worth it.
- I don’t think it’s worth it.
2. When I bought a necklace, they gave me another necklace with it.
- Necklaces: Buy one, get one free.
- Get a free necklace with purchases over ¥10,000.
3. I bought ¥6,000 worth of cosmetics and received this free pouch.
- Get a free gift with purchases over ¥6,000.
- Buy one, get one half off all cosmetics.
4. I got a 50% discount on another bag when I bought this shoulder bag.
- Bags: Buy one, get one free.
- Bags: Buy one, get one half off.
STEP B EXERCISE
Rephrase the sentences using the expressions in the box. The form of some expressions may need to be changed.
ex. If you buy a laptop, you can get another one 50% off.
→ Buy one, get one half off all laptops.
1. If you purchase Purple Storm products worth more than ¥45,000, you will get a free shirt.
→ Get a _____.
2. You will get a second Vibrant Lipstick for free when you purchase one.
→ Vibrant Lipstick: _____.
3. You won’t regret buying Million Max products!
→ Million Max products are _____!
4. When you buy one backpack, you can get another 50% off.
→ Backpacks: _____.
Your foreign friend recently told you that he/she needs to buy new winter clothes but can’t spend a lot of money on them. While shopping, you received a sales flier. Read the flier, then call and tell your friend about it.
- buy one, get one free/half off
- free gift with purchases over price
- worth it
Hi-Low Apparel Holiday Sale
Check out our hot winter deals:
- 100% wool scarves: Buy one, get one half off (regularly priced ¥3,500)
- Snow Treader winter boots: Buy one, get one half off (regularly priced ¥30,000)
- Men’s and ladies’ parkas: Buy one, get one half off (regularly priced ¥40,000)
- Wool socks: Buy one, get one free
- Free gift with purchases over ¥50,000: Choose from any of our winter hats, gloves, or wool socks
Available in all stores nationwide.
Promo lasts until December 31 only!
Discuss your ideas.
I can read and understand a sales ad.
LESSON GOAL ACHIEVEMENT
Could complete the task with ease
Could complete the task with some clarifications
Could complete the task with additional instructions
Could somehow complete the task with difficulty
the ability to use a wide variety of vocabulary
the ability to speak correctly
the ability to speak smoothly without pauses or fillers
the ability to manage a conversation