Thanks to technology and increased globalization, long-distance relationships are becoming more and more common.
STEP A EXPRESSIONS
Go over the expressions with your tutor and answer the questions.
1. To be open with someone means to talk to someone about your feelings.
You have to be open with your boyfriend and let him know how you feel.
Q: Are you open with your parents?
2. To cheat on someone means to be unfaithful to someone by having an affair.
He said he would never cheat on her.
Q: Why is it bad to cheat on someone?
3. To make it work means to fix something (like a relationship).
We have some problems, but I think that if we try hard enough, we can make it work.
Q: Should you always try hard to make a relationship work?
STEP B PRONUNCIATION
/ cheedon /
She wouldn’t / cheedon / her boyfriend.
Mami is chatting with Kelsie while she clears out her desk at work.
There are several idioms related to long-distance relationships. One is out of sight, out of mind, which means you will easily forget someone who you don’t see much anymore. Another idiom is absence makes the heart grow fonder, which means being apart from someone you love makes you love the person even more.
STEP A EXERCISE
Complete the sentences using the expressions in the box. The form of some expressions may need to be changed.
1. Janice cried when her boyfriend _____.
2. Lori wants to end her relationship with Adam, but Adam wants to try to _____.
3. If he wants their relationship to last, he has to _____.
STEP B EXERCISE
Are the underlined expressions used correctly? If not, change the sentences.
- Alice is cheating on her boyfriend. She’s not seeing anyone except him.
- George values honesty in a relationship. He wants to be open with his girlfriend.
- It’s hard to be in a long-distance relationship, but you should try your best to make it work.
You’re watching your favorite variety show, which is doing a segment on long-distance relationships today. Listen to the segment. Then, call your friend and talk about the show.
- be open with someone
- cheat on someone
- make it work
Discuss your ideas.
LONG-DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS
2LONG-DISTANCE RELATIONSHIP PROBLEMS
I can listen to and understand someone talking about long-distance relationships.
LESSON GOAL ACHIEVEMENT
Could complete the task with ease
Could complete the task with some clarifications
Could complete the task with additional instructions
Could somehow complete the task with difficulty
the ability to use a wide variety of vocabulary
the ability to speak correctly
the ability to speak smoothly without pauses or fillers
the ability to manage a conversation