Many cultures are heavily influenced by religion. Understanding this connection can give you a greater appreciation for other cultures.
STEP A EXPRESSIONS
I. Go over the expressions with your tutor.
1. Generally speaking is used to say something that is more or less true but may have a few exceptions.
Generally speaking, Italians are close to their families.
2. For the most part is used to say that something is true most of the time.
For the most part, Italians are very friendly.
3. It’s very typical for someone/something to… is used to talk about what someone or something does often.
It’s very typical for Italian restaurants to serve pasta.
II. What’s your favorite holiday celebration? Describe it using the expressions above.
STEP B PRONUNCIATION
/ gen ruh lee /
/ Gen ruh lee / speaking, Americans don’t eat horse meat.
Yuko, Kelsie, and Mami are taking a tour of a small town while on vacation in Italy.
Aside from Sundays, shops and most businesses in Italy are also typically closed on patron saint days. Every major city in Italy has its own patron saint. Cities treat patron saint feasts as holidays, and employees who work on these days have to be paid double.
STEP A EXERCISE
Rephrase the sentences using the expressions in the box. More than one answer may be possible, and the form of some expressions may need to be changed.
ex. Many Italians are friendly.
→ Generally speaking, Italians are friendly.
- Markets are usually crowded.
- Italian paintings are displayed in museums most of the time.
- Most wines from Italy are high class.
- Feasts usually involve music and dancing.
STEP B EXERCISE
Answer the questions using the pictures and expressions in the box. More than one answer is possible, and the form of some expressions may need to be changed.
1. What’s Italian food like?
2. Can you describe the churches in Italy?
3. What kind of decorations do old Italian buildings often have?
You’re traveling around Italy with your friend and are planning to go to Florence next, so you asked a hotel clerk about what you can do there. Listen to the clerk’s answer. Then, tell your friend about what the hotel clerk said.
- for the most part
- generally speaking
- it’s very typical for someone/something to
Discuss your ideas.
I can listen to and understand an explanation about religion’s influence on a culture.
LESSON GOAL ACHIEVEMENT
Could complete the task with ease
Could complete the task with some clarifications
Could complete the task with additional instructions
Could somehow complete the task with difficulty
the ability to use a wide variety of vocabulary
the ability to speak correctly
the ability to speak smoothly without pauses or fillers
the ability to manage a conversation