You can learn a lot about a person by hearing what they’re excited about. Many people are excited by music festivals.
STEP A EXPRESSIONS
Go over the expressions with your tutor and answer the questions.
1. To be pumped about something means to be very excited about it.
I’m pumped about this music festival!
Q: What are you pumped about right now?
2. I can’t wait is used to say that you are eager or impatient for something to happen.
My favorite band is playing here next week. I can’t wait!
Q: What is something you can’t wait for?
3. To be dying to do something means that you really, really want to do it.
I’m dying to hear their new single!
Q: What are you dying to do this year?
STEP B PRONUNCIATION
/ dai-ing tuh /
I’m / dai-ing tuh / see them live!
Charlie is back in Japan. He’s spending the afternoon shopping with Yuko.
The phrase it’s a date is used to mean that you agree to meet at a particular time. Be careful: In this context, it does not mean a romantic date!
A: Do you want to see a movie on Sunday?
B: Sure! Does one o’clock work for you?
A: Sorry, I have other plans then. How about four o’clock?
B: It’s a date!
STEP A EXERCISE
The underlined expressions are close but not quite correct. Correct them.
- I am dying about buy Sandra Clair’s new album. It’ll be out tomorrow.
- Geostorm is coming to Japan, and I got front-row tickets to their concert! I won’t wait!
- I am pumped to the Summer Party Fest. It’s only two days away!
STEP B EXERCISE
Make sentences using the pictures, words, and expressions.
ex. Sandra / be dying to do something
→ Sandra is dying to buy the pink bag.
1. Mark / be pumped about something
2. Emma / be dying to do something
3. I can’t wait
Your foreign friend Lisa is flying to Japan to go to a music festival with you. She left you a voicemail before her flight. Listen to the voicemail. Then, tell your other friend about Lisa’s message and the upcoming music festival.
- be pumped about something
- I can’t wait
- be dying to do something
Discuss your ideas.
I can listen to and understand someone expressing excitement.
LESSON GOAL ACHIEVEMENT
Could complete the task with ease
Could complete the task with some clarifications
Could complete the task with additional instructions
Could somehow complete the task with difficulty
the ability to use a wide variety of vocabulary
the ability to speak correctly
the ability to speak smoothly without pauses or fillers
the ability to manage a conversation