IN THIS LESSON, YOU WILL
2. Talk about where to go shopping for a kimono.どこに着物を買いに行くかについて話しましょう。
3. Talk about the fit, look, and cost of a kimono.着物の着心地、見た目、値段について話しましょう。
STEP A EXERCISE
Change the words in parentheses into comparative forms.
1. The blue dress is (large) the brown one.
2. This store is (fancy) that one.
3. I like traditional fashion (good) modern fashion.
4. The prices here are (cheap) the prices at the other store.
STEP B EXERCISE
Choose the correct words in the parentheses.
- I’m not sure what to wear to work today. I (might / will definitely) wear my favorite black shirt.
- (On / In) Saturday, I’m planning to go shopping with some friends.
- My parents are still thinking about it, but they’ll (probably / definitely) get me a puppy for Christmas!
- We’re going to have lots of fun (at / on) Ella’s pool party next week.
- My friend bought his girlfriend a huge diamond ring. It (might/ definitely) cost a lot!
Your foreign friend was invited to a traditional Japanese wedding. She’s not sure what to wear, so she sent you an email.
Read her email.
- onon + 日にち、曜日、祝祭日
- atat + 沢山の人が集まるイベント
- inin + 季節、月
From: M. Higgins <email@example.com>
Hey there! My friend is getting married this summer, and I don’t know what to wear! I searched on the internet, and I found an article on kimonos. Could you read it and tell me if it’s correct? Thanks!
Many countries have traditional clothes, but I think the kimono is the most beautiful. I love wearing a kimono when I attend formal events here in Japan!
We don’t wear kimonos every day, of course, but there are many events where we can wear them.
The bride, the groom, and the guests all wear different kinds of kimonos at traditional Japanese weddings.
Families celebrate their children’s lucky ages on this day: age five for boys and ages three and seven for girls. They dress up and go to shrines in their kimonos for a short ceremony. They also take photos.
Coming of Age Day
This is a day to recognize new adults in Japanese society. Women usually wear a special kind of kimono called a furisode. Men often wear suits.
- Why did your friend send you the article?
- She wrote it.
- She wants to know if it’s correct.
- According to the article, when do people usually wear a kimono?
- at traditional Japanese weddings, on Coming of Age Day, and on Shichi-Go-San
- at traditional Japanese weddings, at tea ceremonies, and on New Year’s Day
- Who usually wears traditional clothes on Coming of Age Day?
You and your friend are hanging out at a café.
Give her advice about where to go shopping for appropriate clothes for her friend’s wedding.
- be + (ing verb)be +動詞のing形
Help her pick the right kimono for the wedding she’s attending.
- -er thanより～だ
- more thanより～だ
Purple and red kimono with floral design
- 27,000 yen
Orange and white kimono with floral design
- 15,500 yen
Help her prepare her outfit for that day.結婚式のための服装の準備を手伝いましょう。
Could complete the task with ease
Could complete the task with some clarifications
Could complete the task with additional instructions
Could somehow complete the task with difficulty