Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
- handcrafted / ˈhændˌkræfˌtɪd / (adj) – created using one’s creative skill instead of a machine
These handcrafted bags are expensive because workers spent days making them.
- accessorize / ækˈsɛs əˌrɪz / (v) – to wear or put on an accessory, or something that adds beauty to one’s appearance
Your outfit looks boring, so you should accessorize it with this belt.
- noble / ˈnoʊ bəl / (adj) – displaying qualities of being moral or righteous
A lot of people admire him because of his noble character.
- applaud / əˈplɔd / (v) – to praise someone or something
Many people applauded the man’s effort to save injured animals.
- advocacy / ˈæd və kə si / (n) – the act of publicly supporting a cause
His advocacy is to fight for human rights.
Read the text below.
A teenage boy from New Jersey, United States, creates handcrafted bow ties to support shelter animals.
Twelve-year-old Darius Brown founded Beaux / boʊz / and Paws, an organization that sells stylish bow ties for animals. Through his organization, Brown also donates bow ties to animal shelters. In addition, a percentage of Brown’s earnings goes to an animal welfare organization, and the remaining profit is used to make more bow ties.
Brown started making bow ties at the age of eight. He first learned making hair ribbons through his sister, who was studying cosmetology at the time. Eventually, he became interested in making and wearing bow ties.
Brown came up with the idea of creating bow ties for animals when he discovered that many dogs get killed annually as a result of overcrowding in animal shelters. He decided to use his skills in designing and making bow ties to help animals get adopted quickly and prevent animal euthanasia, or the act of killing animals. According to him, accessorizing animals with bow ties makes them look more noticeable and appealing. This increases their chances of being adopted.
Because of his noble cause, Brown received a letter from former US President Barack Obama, who applauded his work and advocacy. In his letter, Obama encouraged the boy to carry on with his passion and continue helping the community.
Currently, Brown is focusing on raising more funds to produce bow ties. Aside from continuing to personally donate his works to animal shelters, he plans to support animal adoption events across the United States.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
• In your own ways, how can you help shelter animals? Discuss.
• How would you help or support these advocacies? Discuss.