Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
- name (someone/something) after / neɪm ˈæf tər / (idiom) – to give someone another person’s name
The couple named their children after famous celebrities.
- place (a) bet / pleɪs bɛt / (idiom) – to predict a winner
I placed my bet on the highest-ranking team.
- victorious / vɪkˈtɔr i əs / (adj) – achieving a win
The team captain felt victorious after winning the championship game.
- conquer / ˈkɒŋ kər / (v) – to win against a rival
The school’s basketball team conquered its rival team from another school.
- overtime / ˈoʊ vərˌtaɪm / (n) – additional time in a game when the score is a tie
The basketball game went overtime.
Read the text below.
The Atlanta Zoo names a baby cockroach after renowned American football player, Tom Brady.
In February, the New England Patriots and the Atlanta Falcons faced off in the 51st championship game of the Super Bowl. Before the game, Zoo Atlanta, an Atlanta-based zoo, placed a bet on the Atlanta Falcons, while Roger Williams Park Zoo, a Rhode Island zoo, bet on the New England Patriots. Both zoos agreed that the losing side would name a baby animal in its zoo after the victorious team’s quarterback. On a social media post, Zoo Atlanta later added that both zoos previously agreed upon the Madagascar hissing cockroach as the animal that will be involved in the bet.
At the end of the game, the New England Patriots conquered the Atlanta Falcons. The losing side, Atlanta Zoo, then had to name one of its cockroaches Tom Brady after the Patriots’ quarterback.
Early in the game, the Falcons seemed poised for victory as they were leading by 25 points. However, the Patriots, led by Brady, eventually caught up with the Falcons, and with the score tied at 28-28, the game went into overtime. The memorable game ended with a score of 34-28 in favor of the Patriots.
Brady set and broke multiple records in the game. He finished with a total of 466 passing yards, or complete passes, which contributed heavily to the Patriots’ victory. To recognize his efforts, Brady was awarded Most Valuable Player (MVP).
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
• Aside from naming a cockroach, what else could the zoo have done to honor Tom Brady?
• If you participated in the bet, what consequence would you propose for the losing side?
• Why do people place a bet on certain teams?
• What factors do you consider when deciding to place a bet on a certain team?