Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
- apprenticeship / əˈprɛntəsˌʃɪp / (n) – a period of time when someone learns something from an expert
I have to undergo an apprenticeship at a law firm before I can take the bar exam.
- mentor / ˈmɛnˌtoɚ / (v) – to teach or advise someone who is less experienced
A famous surgeon mentored my mom during her years in medical school.
- spur / spɚ / (v) – to cause something to occur or develop
Watching the documentary about US presidents spurred his interest in politics.
- out of depth / aʊt ʌv dɛpθ / (idiom) – not having enough knowledge or skill about a particular subject
I’m out of depth when it comes to the country’s legal system.
- scandalous / ˈskændələs / (adj) – improper and offensive
The actress received negative comments because of her scandalous behavior.
Read the text below.
US celebrity Kim Kardashian West is studying to become a lawyer without going to law school.
Through a Vogue magazine article, Kardashian West shared that she is taking up law through an alternative method, which is accepted in some American states. Instead of going to law school, she started a four-year apprenticeship in 2018 at a law firm in California. She is being mentored by two lawyers and is studying for 18 hours weekly.
This summer, Kardashian West will be taking the “baby bar,” an exam for first-year students who are taking the alternative method of studying law. The TV star will be permitted to continue her studies if she passes the exam.
In the past, Kardashian West has successfully taken part in helping two female prisoners petition their cases to the US president. The White House also sought her advice on the system for giving pardon to people convicted of different crimes. These events spurred the celebrity’s interest in studying law. She said that being out of depth with legal discussions motivated her to gain more knowledge about how the legal system works.
But after announcing her plans to become a lawyer, the star received negative comments. Many people commented that she was making the legal system look like a joke. Others stated that she was taking advantage of her privilege to become a lawyer. Such comments prove that despite her popularity, a lot of people are still critical of Kardashian West.
The TV star, who was involved in a scandalous video, gained celebrity status through her show Keeping Up With the Kardashians.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
• If you were Kim Kardashian West, would you still continue pursuing law despite criticisms? Why or why not?
• Like Kim Kardashian West, do you think celebrities should explore other careers (e.g. doctor, politician)? Why or why not?
• If you had the opportunity, what personal dream would you like to pursue? Discuss.
• What are the common challenges that people face when pursuing their dreams? Explain.