Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
- indict / ɪnˈdɑɪt / (v) – to formally accuse someone of a criminal act
The authorities indicted the man for theft.
- illicit / ɪˈlɪsɪt / (adj) – against the law
The parents were arrested for having an illicit deal with the school.
- collateral / kəˈlætərəl / (n) – a property that will be given to the lender if a person fails to pay a loan
I used my car as collateral for the loan.
- restriction / rɪˈstrɪkʃən / (n) – something that limits or prevents an action
The company has imposed a restriction on the use of cellphones during work hours.
- outrage / ˈaʊtˌreɪʤ / (v) – to make someone feel very angry or shocked
Fans were outraged after a famous actor admitted that he cheated to get a university degree.
Read the text below.
US authorities recently arrested a celebrity couple for participating in a college cheating scam involving their daughters.
Actress Lori Loughlin /ˈlɒklɪn/ and her husband, designer Mossimo Giannulli, were indicted and arrested for an alleged college admission fraud. Using illicit payments amounting to $500,000, the couple got their daughters Olivia Jade and Isabella admitted to the University of Southern California (USC).
The couple’s daughters were enrolled as members of the USC’s rowing team. However, investigators found that neither of the siblings participated in the university’s rowing team. In fact, the sisters were never in any rowing teams in the past. To enroll the siblings as rowing team members, the couple sent fake photos of the girls riding a rowing machine.
The charges came with a hefty amount of bail. According to reports, the couple paid $2 million to temporarily stay out of prison. Giannulli took a loan using the family’s house as collateral to make bail.
Aside from the bail, Loughlin also received travel restrictions. A judge restricted Loughlin’s travels to the United States and Canada. Additionally, the actress was ordered to give up her passport in December.
Following the charges, the couple received criticisms. People were especially outraged by the couple’s use of illegal means to enroll their children to university despite having the money to do it legally.
Apart from criticisms, some of Loughlin’s work engagements were canceled. TV network Hallmark Channel released a statement announcing that it will no longer work with Loughlin. Reports also said that Netflix is not planning to include Loughlin in a show she previously guested on.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
• In your opinion, is it reasonable to set a huge amount of bail on the couple? Why or why not?
• If you were the owner of Hallmark Channel and Netflix, would you also cancel your work engagements with Loughlin? Why or why not?
• Why do you think some celebrities commit crimes?
• If a popular celebrity you admire was caught committing a crime, how would you react?