Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
- rumor / ˈru mər / (n) – story or news that does not have confirmation
There were rumors that the actress got married, but she denied them.
- disrupt / dɪsˈrʌpt / (v) – to interrupt a process
The rain disrupted the wedding being held in the garden.
- question / ˈkwɛs tʃən / (v) – to ask someone
She was questioned about what happened that night.
- asset / ˈæs ɛt / (n) – something or someone valuable
The farm was the family’s greatest asset.
- ward / wɔrd / (n) – a room or area in a hospital used for a specific purpose
Because of the patient’s condition, he was rushed to the critical care ward.
Read the text below.
American singer Madonna has successfully adopted twin girls from Malawi, Africa.
The Malawi High Court allowed the 58-year-old singer to adopt four-year-old sisters from the Home of Hope orphanage. Madonna formally announced the adoption only after she gained the court’s approval. Prior to this, however, there had been rumors about her plans to adopt, which the singer denied to avoid disrupting the adoption process.
Adoption in the country usually takes three to seven months, but for Madonna, the process was completed in just two weeks. It is her third time to adopt from the country, and some Malawians have complained about her previous adoptions. They said that the government broke the law that bans non-residents from adopting.
The judge said that the singer was questioned and assessed thoroughly because her actions may be misinterpreted as robbing the country of its most precious assets: its children. The deciding factor in the adoption’s approval was the celebrity’s contribution to the country. In 2006, Madonna established the non-profit organization Raising Malawi, which focuses on children’s health, education, and community support. In addition to building ten schools, the organization has raised $7.5 million for a children’s surgery ward.
The adoption has gained a lot of media attention, but it is not the first time that a Hollywood celebrity adopted from another country. Another famous celebrity adoptive parent is Angelina Jolie. She adopted three of her children from Cambodia, Vietnam, and Ethiopia.
Meanwhile, child welfare agency Wide Horizons for Children, Inc., reported that even though the media mostly focus on only celebrity adoptions, thousands of parents in the United States also adopt from other countries to help children in need.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
• Do you approve of adopting from other countries? Why or why not?
• What are possible challenges of inter-country adoption?
• What effect can adoption have on a celebrity?
• Other than adopting, in what other ways can celebrities help disadvantaged kids from another country?