Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
- miscellaneous / ˌmɪs·əˈleɪ·ni·əs / (adj) – made of different kinds
Our school’s miscellaneous fees include lab equipment and workshops.
- subsidize / ˈsʌbsɪˌdaɪz / (v) – to help someone by paying part of the cost of something
My father’s company subsidizes his health insurance.
- simultaneously / ˌsɑɪ·məlˈteɪ·ni·əs·li, ˌsɪm·əl- / (adv) – in a way that is happening at the same time
I am thankful for our company’s flexible schedule because it allows me to work and study simultaneously.
- crucial / ˈkruʃəl / (adj) – very important
Learning about finance is crucial in becoming a good businessman.
- advancement / ədˈvæns.mənt / (n) – the act of making progress
I am very happy that you finally achieved advancement in your career.
Read the text below.
Walmart is set to offer a program that gives around 1.4 million employees an opportunity to attend college.
In May, the major US retailer announced this new program, which lets its employees pay only one dollar every day for university fees. The rest of the expenses such as tuition, books, and miscellaneous fees will be subsidized by Walmart.
This program is open to salaried employees and those who work full-time or part-time as long as they have stayed in Walmart for at least 90 days. They can avail themselves of this benefit for five years.
Three universities are part of Walmart’s education program. These are the University of Florida, Brandman University, and Bellevue University. Because these schools offer evening and weekend classes, Walmart employees can work and study simultaneously. The three universities also have a successful history of helping working adults graduate.
While the employees can pursue only an associate’s or bachelor’s degree in business or supply chain management, the company hopes to add more degree options in the future.
The initiative is a collaboration with Guild Education, an organization that helps working adults earn a college degree. With Guild’s support, Walmart employees will be able to consult with a coach who can guide them for the duration of their studies. The coaching system will also help the employees achieve a work-school balance.
According to Walmart CEO Greg Foran, the company is dedicated to the professional and personal growth of its employees. He shared that Walmart understands how training and learning play a crucial role in improving customer service and facilitating employees’ career advancement.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
• In what ways do you think Walmart’s new program can help in its employees’ career advancement? Explain.
• Aside from expanding its degree options, how else can Walmart improve the education program?
• Do you think more companies should subsidize their employees’ education? Why or why not?
• Why is it important for companies to be dedicated to their employees’ professional and personal growth?