Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
- fowl / faʊl / (n.) – a bird that is used to produce food like meat and eggs
We’re raising over two thousand fowls on our farm for business.
- batter / ˈbæt ər / (n.) – a mixture of different ingredients such as flour, eggs, and milk that’s usually used to cover food before frying it
Let’s make the batter for the vegetable tempura.
- co-develop / koʊ dɪˈvɛ ləp / (v.) – to develop something by working with one or more partners or organizations
Two universities will co-develop educational materials for children.
- rollout / ˈroʊlˌaʊt / (n.) – the act of making a product or service available for the first time
The rollout of the new smartphone products will be next week.
- receptive / rɪˈsɛp tɪv / (adj.) – willing to listen to new ideas and suggestions and accept them
The management is receptive to employees’ feedback.
Read the text below.
McDonald’s McNuggets are going fowl-free.
The Chicago-based fast-food giant introduced plant-based McNuggets on Feb. 22. Germany was the first market to get them.
McPlant Nuggets—made from peas, corn and wheat with a tempura batter—are the second product McDonald’s has co-developed with Beyond Meat, an El Segundo, California-based maker of plant-based meats. McDonald’s has been selling a McPlant burger since 2021.
McDonald’s said the nationwide nugget rollout to more than 1,400 restaurants in Germany follows a limited-time test at nine restaurants in the Stuttgart area in August. McDonald’s also started selling the McPlant burger in Germany last month.
Availability of the McPlant nuggets and burgers in future markets will depend on customer demand, McDonald’s said.
European customers have generally been more receptive to McDonald’s plant-based meat products than those in the U.S. The McPlant burger is now a permanent menu item in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Austria and the Netherlands. In January, McDonald’s rolled out the Double McPlant burger in the U.K. and Ireland.
But in the U.S., McDonald’s ended a test of the McPlant burger last summer without announcing any future plans for its sale.
Beyond Meat began selling plant-based chicken in U.S. groceries in 2021. It has also co-developed plant-based tenders and nuggets with other chains, including KFC and Panda Express.
This article was provided by The Associated Press.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
- Beyond Meat has also co-developed plant-based products with other chains, including KFC and Panda Express. Why do you think more and more fast-food chains are adding plant-based items to their menu? Discuss.
- What fast-food products would you like to have a plant-based version of (ex. sandwich, ice cream)? Discuss.
- European customers have generally been more receptive to McDonald’s plant-based meat products than those in the U.S. Do you think people in your country would be receptive to plant-based food? Why or why not? Discuss.
- What do you think are the pros and cons of selling plant-based meals? Discuss.