Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
- tune / tun / (n.) – a piece of music that sounds pleasant and is easy to remember
The musician played a beautiful tune on his guitar.
- bury (someone) / ˈbɛr i / (idiom) – used to say that someone, especially a close friend, family member, etc., has died
Dan is still very sad. He buried his dad last week.
- cannabis / ˈkæn ə bɪs / (n.) – a plant from which a very addictive drug is made
There’s a huge debate on whether cannabis should be made legal or not.
- limited-edition / ˈlɪm ɪ tɪd ɪˈdɪʃ ən / (adj.) – describing a product with a design or style that’s a bit different from others of its kind and is sold in a limited number of pieces
There’s only a total of five pieces made of this limited-edition bag.
- terms / tɜrmz / (n.) – the rules or conditions in an agreement
The client agreed to the terms of the contract.
Read the text below.
Billie Eilish to headline Glastonbury outdoor music festival in UK next year
Grammy Award winner Billie Eilish will perform at Glastonbury next June, becoming the British music festival’s youngest ever solo headliner, organizers said on Oct. 4.
The 19-year-old hitmaker, who sings the theme tune for the latest James Bond movie No Time To Die, performed at the festival’s Other Stage in 2019, the last time the major outdoors music event was held.
It was canceled last year and this year due to the COVID-19 pandemic, although a virtual event was organized in May. Eilish, known for songs like Bad Guy and Bury a Friend, put up a poster on Instagram for the festival at Worthy Farm in southwest England, along with the comment “Glastonbury 2022.” (Reuters)
Bieber teams up with marijuana company to launch ‘Peaches Pre-rolls’ in 4 states
Pop star Justin Bieber has teamed up with Palms Premium to launch cannabis-based products, the California-based company said on Oct. 4.
The limited-edition marijuana cigarettes, or joints, called “Peaches Pre-rolls” are named after a song from Bieber’s newest studio album and will be available in California, Nevada, Massachusetts and Florida, the company said.
An increasing number of celebrities including Academy Award winning actress Nicole Kidman, Rapper Jay-Z, lifestyle guru Martha Stewart and singer Willie Nelson have partnered with or launched their own lines of cannabis products. Palms Premium did not disclose the financial terms of the partnership. (Reuters)
These articles were provided by The Japan Times Alpha.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
- Billie Eilish will perform at Glastonbury, a major outdoor music event. Given that the pandemic isn’t completely over, do you think it is a good idea for Glastonbury to be held next year? If you were Eilish, would you have accepted the invitation to perform? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Glastonbury was canceled last year and this year due to the pandemic. In what ways has COVID-19 affected the music industry in your country? Do you think the music industry can return to the way it was before? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Justin Bieber has teamed up with Palms Premium to launch cannabis-based products, and an increasing number of celebrities have also partnered with or launched their own lines of cannabis products. Do you think this move will affect their image positively or negatively? Why? Discuss.
- Do you think more states or countries will be encouraged to legalize cannabis use because of the increasing number of celebrities promoting them? Why or why not? Discuss.