Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
- reboot / riˈbut / (n.) – a new version of a movie or TV show
My mom said that the reboot of her favorite movie from the 1980s was horrible.
- pen / pɛn / (v.) – to write something
I penned a thank-you note to my boss.
- playwright / ˈpleɪˌraɪt / (n.) – a person who writes scripts for plays
William Shakespeare was a well-known playwright.
- go under the hammer / goʊ ˈʌn dər ðə ˈhæm ər / (idiom) – to be sold at an auction
Many of the artist’s paintings will go under the hammer next month.
- prop / prɒp / (n.) – an object that’s used by an actor in a film, show, or play
The museum has some of the props from the movie.
Read the text below.
Classic 1992 film The Bodyguard to get a Hollywood remake, but few details so far
The Bodyguard, the 1992 movie that launched the acting career of the late Whitney Houston and featured her most famous song, is getting a reboot.
Hollywood movie studio Warner Bros. said that a reimagining of the romantic thriller is in development with a script penned by American playwright Matthew Lopez.
No details of casting, plot or a potential release date were given but Warner Bros. said that Lawrence Kasdan, the writer and producer of the 1992 film, will co-produce the new version.
Houston made her movie debut in The Bodyguard, playing a singer who is protected from an unknown stalker by a former secret service agent. (Reuters)
Sylvester Stallone movie memorabilia headed for auction in Beverly Hills
From Rocky boxing gloves to Rambo headbands, memorabilia from action movie star Sylvester Stallone’s Hollywood career are going under the hammer in a December auction expected to raise around $1.5 million (¥166 million).
Nearly 500 items from Stallone’s personal archives are being sold, including costumes, props, scripts, notebooks and other memorabilia from the actor’s biggest films, including the Rocky and Rambo franchises, Cliffhanger and Demolition Man, Julien’s Auctions said on Sept. 14.
Highlights include Stallone’s boxing gloves from Rocky III, which could go for up to $20,000 (¥2.2 million). The auction will be held in Beverly Hills. (Reuters)
These articles were provided by The Japan Times Alpha.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
- The Bodyguard, a famous movie from 1992, is getting a reboot. How do you feel about reboots (ex. a great way to experience a good movie again, a waste of time and money)? Why do you think there have been so many reboots of old TV shows and movies in recent years? Discuss.
- The Bodyguard launched the acting career of the late Whitney Houston and featured her most famous song. How do you feel about musicians who turn to acting? Have you been surprised by the acting ability of any musicians (ex. Lady Gaga, Madonna)? Can you think of any musicians who should stick to making music and not try to act? Discuss.
- Memorabilia from Stallone’s biggest films are going under the hammer in December. Would you be interested in bidding on any of it? How about memorabilia from another actor’s movies? Why or why not? Discuss.
- If you were an actor, would you keep any memorabilia from your own movies? Why or why not? Discuss.