Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
- file / faɪl / (v.) – to give something, such as a document, to a court or other authorities so that it can be approved or considered
Mark filed a report with the police about his missing brother.
- get rid of (something) / gɛt rɪd əv / (idiom) – to remove or throw away something unwanted
I need to get rid of my old clothes to make some space in my closet.
- in favor of (something) / ɪn ˈfeɪ vər əv / (idiom) – supporting or choosing something over something else
Oliver wanted sushi for dinner, but everyone else was in favor of pizza.
- cite / saɪt / (v.) – to mention something as an explanation, example, or reason for something else
They closed their second store, citing a lack of customers as the main reason.
- attorney / əˈtɜr ni / (n.) – a lawyer
My attorney called me about my case.
Read the text below.
Barbie celebrates Elvis Presley with doll dressed in famous jumpsuit
Barbie is celebrating the King of Rock and Roll, Elvis Presley, with a collectible doll.
The female doll made by Mattel Inc. is dressed in Presley’s “American Eagle” jumpsuit, which features colorful rhinestones, a cape and a red scarf. Presley wore the jumpsuit during numerous concert appearances.
Elvis’ first RCA single, Heartbreak Hotel, was released in 1956 and became his first to sell over 1 million copies. It was followed by his first album, Elvis Presley, which went to No. 1 on Billboard’s pop album chart. In 1973, Elvis made TV history with his live concert Elvis: Aloha from Hawaii via Satellite. (AP)
Rapper Kanye West asks court to legally change his name to Ye
Kanye West filed court documents Aug. 24 to legally change his name.
The Los Angeles Superior Court filing says the 44-year-old wants to get rid of his full name — Kanye Omari West — in favor of just his longtime two-letter nickname, Ye, with no middle name or last name.
The documents, dated Aug. 11 but not sent into the court system until Aug. 24, cite “personal reasons” for the change. An email seeking comment from the attorney who filed the documents was not immediately returned.
A judge must approve of the change before it becomes official. West has called himself Ye on his social media pages for years. (AP)
These articles were provided by The Japan Times Alpha.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
- Barbie is one of America’s most iconic dolls. What dolls are popular in your country? Did you or anyone you know own one as a child? Do you know any adults who still collect them? Discuss.
- Elvis is known as the King of Rock and Roll. Do you think he still owns that title in 2021? Why or why not? Discuss.
- West wants to officially change his name to just his two-letter nickname, Ye, with no middle or last names. Do you think the judge should approve his request? What “personal reasons” do you think West has for wanting to change his name like this? Discuss.
- If you had the chance, would you like to legally change your name? If you moved abroad, would you ever unofficially change your name (ex. use a westernized nickname)? Why or why not? Discuss.