Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
- suspected / sʌsˈpɛk tɪd / (adj.) – believed to be guilty of a crime or of doing something bad or wrong
One of the suspected robbers was arrested and questioned by the police.
- mastermind / ˈmæs tərˌmaɪnd / (n.) – a person who plans a difficult or complicated activity, usually a crime
The police arrested the mastermind behind the bank robbery.
- mercenary / ˈmɜr səˌnɛr i / (n.) – a professional soldier who fights for any country or group that pays him/her
I watched a documentary about a group of former US soldiers who became mercenaries.
- turmoil / ˈtɜr mɔɪl / (n.) – a state of uncertainty, disorder, or confusion
The economy was in turmoil because of the war.
- alleged / əˈlɛdʒd / (adj.) – said or thought without proof
The alleged shoplifter was taken to the police station for questioning.
Read the text below.
Haitian police said July 11 they had arrested one of the suspected masterminds in the assassination of President Jovenel Moise, a Haitian American man whom authorities accused of hiring mercenaries to oust and replace Moise.
Moise was shot dead on July 7 at his Port-au-Prince home by what Haitian authorities describe as a unit of assassins formed of 26 Colombians and two Haitian Americans, plunging the troubled Caribbean nation deeper into turmoil.
National Police Chief Leon Charles told a news conference the arrested man, Christian Emmanuel Sanon, 63, was in contact with a firm that provides security for politicians and recruited the suspects in the killing. He said Sanon flew into Haiti from Florida on a private jet accompanied by several of the alleged gunmen.
The gunmen’s initial mission was to protect Sanon, but they later received a new order: Arrest the president, Charles said.
Haitian police have arrested 18 Colombians and three Haitian Americans, including Sanon, over the murder, Charles said. (Reuters)
These articles were provided by The Japan Times Alpha.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
- Sanon is one of the suspected masterminds in the assassination of the Haitian president. What are some possible reasons for doing what he allegedly did? Discuss.
- Do you think the masterminds behind a crime should be punished the same as the people who actually did it, or should they be punished more/less? Why? Discuss.
- The mercenaries’ initial mission was to protect Sanon, but they later received a new order: Arrest the president. Why do you think they followed Sanon’s new order (ex. they wanted the money, they believed in his cause)? Discuss.
- Haitian police have arrested 18 Colombians and three Haitian Americans over the murder. Do you think Colombia and the US should apologize to Haiti over the incident? Why or why not? Discuss.