Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
- be poised to (do something) / bi pɔɪzd tʊ / (idiom) – to be ready to do something
With the global release of its latest product, the company’s poised to break into the international market.
- recreational / ˌrɛk riˈeɪ ʃə nl / (adj.) – done for pleasure or enjoyment
Aside from regular classes, it’s important for students to take part in some recreational activities too.
- come to a consensus / kʌm tʊ ə kənˈsɛn səs / (idiom) – to have everyone in a group agree to an opinion or decision
The council has finally come to a consensus on banning farm products from other countries.
- bloodshed / ˈblʌdˌʃɛd / (n.) – violence or fighting in which people are hurt or even killed
If the government isn’t careful, there may be bloodshed.
- subject to (something) / səbˈdʒɛkt tʊ / (phrasal v.) – to bring something under the control, influence, or rule of another thing
The contest rules are subject to local laws.
Read the text below.
NY state set to legalize recreational marijuana
New York is poised to join a growing number of U.S. states that have legalized marijuana after state lawmakers reached a deal to allow sales of the drug for recreational use.
The agreement reached March 27 would expand the state’s existing medical marijuana program and set up a licensing and taxation system for recreational sales. Lawmakers are expected to vote on the bill March 30.
It has taken years for the state’s lawmakers to come to a consensus on how to legalize recreational marijuana in New York. (AP)
Biden announces steps to tackle gun violence
U.S. President Joe Biden and Attorney General Merrick Garland announced limited measures to tackle gun violence in the country April 8 in what the White House described as a first step to curb mass shootings, community bloodshed and suicides.
The new measures include plans for the Justice Department to crack down on homemade “ghost guns” and make “stabilizing braces” — which effectively turn pistols into rifles — subject to registration under the National Firearms Act. (Reuters)
These articles were provided by The Japan Times Alpha.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
- A growing number of US states are legalizing marijuana for recreational use. Do you think this is a good idea? Why or why not? Discuss.
- Some organizations are now advocating for illegal drug users to receive treatment, not jail time or fines. What do you think about this approach? Why? Discuss.
- Why do you think the US struggles so much to control gun violence compared to other countries? Discuss.
- In your opinion, who (if anyone) should be allowed to own a gun? Why? Discuss.