Unlocking Word Meanings
Read the following words/expressions found in today’s article.
- liquor / ˈlɪk ər / (n) – an alcoholic drink
My grandfather has a large liquor collection.
- pass out / pæs aʊt / (phrasal) – to faint or become unconscious
Steve felt dizzy, then he passed out.
- fruition / fruˈɪʃ ən / (n) – the state of being realized or complete
Seeing my dream of owning a business come to fruition makes me happy.
- age / eɪdʒ / (v) – to cause food and drink to mature
The cheese must be aged slowly so it becomes flavorful.
- hint / hɪnt / (n) – a very small trace or amount of something
There were still hints of her perfume when she left the room.
Read the text below.
Electric car giant Tesla is now selling its own branded tequila.
Originally named Teslaquilla, the liquor brand started out as an April Fools’ joke by Tesla CEO Elon Musk. In 2018, Musk sent out a series of tweets, joking that his company had gone bankrupt. In one tweet, Musk attached a photo of himself against a Tesla car, holding a sign, and teasing that he had been found passed out surrounded by Teslaquilla bottles.
After seeing the tweets, Twitter users encouraged Musk to launch the beverage. Two years later, the drink came to fruition as Tesla Tequila.
The alcoholic drink comes in a lightning-shaped bottle with a stand featuring the Tesla logo. According to the company, the new product is made from sustainably sourced agave, a desert plant used in making tequila. The liquor is also aged in French oak barrels for 15 months. It is 40% alcohol by volume and has hints of fruit, vanilla, cinnamon, and pepper. Each bottle costs $250.
Customers can only buy two bottles each since the drink is a limited edition. It is also only available in certain states in the US because of regulations.
Tesla Tequila sold out in a matter of hours after it appeared on the tech company’s website. Tesla aims to start shipping the alcohol later this year.
According to reports, even though they have not received their orders yet, some customers have started putting Tesla Tequila up for sale online. Based on some eBay listings, the bottles are being resold for between $400 and $1,500.
Enjoy a discussion with your tutor.
• Would you be interested in buying Tesla Tequila at such a high price? Why or why not?
• Do you think it’s fair that people are reselling Tesla Tequila? Why or why not?
• Do you think it’s a good idea for a business to create a new product based on a prank or joke? Why or why not?
• Where do you think people usually get their business ideas (e.g. on the internet, through observation)? Discuss.